New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Power Mac - Problem with energy saver in system preferences

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Follow

Follow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16 GHz

I recently set up my old power mac g4 (400mhz, 60 gig hd, 620 mb ram, running 10.4.9) for a friend of mine. He asked me to change the settings so that it would not go sleep when he left it alone for a while, so it could continue to download something while he wasn’t actually using it. So I open up system preferences and click on the energy saver button and it won't open. It just says loading energy saver and it never opens up. It doesn’t appear to be freezing or anything, and everything else seems to work fine, but I just can't seem to be able to open the energy saver.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

johntalin is a jewel in the roughjohntalin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM

Search your HD with key word "energy". When you see the EnergySaver.prefPane, click on it and go to Finder, File, Get Info.
It should say OPEN WITH: System Preferences.app (default). No other application will open it.
I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (71.7 KB, 6 views)

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
Follow

Follow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntalin View Post
Search your HD with key word "energy". When you see the EnergySaver.prefPane, click on it and go to Finder, File, Get Info.
It should say OPEN WITH: System Preferences.app (default). Not other application will open it.
I hope this helps.
I searched the HD for "energy", but engerysaver.prefpane doesn't come up.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

Obviously, that is the reason why it does not work. But, I don't know how you can put it there other than during the initial installation of your System.

"Do all the good you can... In all the ways you can... In all the places you can... At all the times you can... To all the people you can... As long as you ever can..." ~ Rules of Conduct
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

I searched my HD for "preference" and I found my Folder for "PreferencePanes" where the "EnergySaver" is.
Try putting your System installer disk in the drive and see if you can isolate and copy the icon for the EnergySaver onto your HD, into the PreferencePanes folder.
Or, maybe copy the whole PreferencePanes folder onto your HD, System, Library.
If this does not work, try copying the EnergySaver icon onto your desktop.
I was able to make a copy of mine onto my desktop. When I clicked on it, it said that it could not install, because it already exist.
So, maybe if you can copy one onto your desktop, you can install it.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It would not come up in Spotlight but in the old Finder Search from the File menu for me. That could be why you can't find it.
QUOTE Thanks
johntalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
It would not come up in Spotlight but in the old Finder Search from the File menu for me. That could be why you can't find it.
Good suggestion. Mine comes up either way, though.
The issue is that it cannot be accessed via System Preferences.

QUOTE Thanks
drahmedbelal

drahmedbelal is on a distinguished road

i think the better way to solve this prob is to change the energysaver.prefpane file with anther one so plz , i have the same problem but that i accdentaly delete the file ,
i need some one with a powerbook G4 ppc machine with a leopard sys its better to be 10.5, to copy and send the energysaver.prefpane file for me , you can find it in harddisk / sys/ liberary / pref pane / energysaver.prefpane as in the photos
Picture 3.png

Picture 1.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 2.png
QUOTE Thanks
drahmedbelal

drahmedbelal is on a distinguished road

i think the better way to solve this prob is to change the energysaver.prefpane file with anther one so plz , i have the same problem but that i accidentally delete the file ,
i need some one with a powerbook G4 ppc machine with a leopard sys its better to be 10.5, to copy and send the energysaver.prefpane file for me , you can find it in harddisk / sys/ liberary / pref pane / energysaver.prefpane as in the photos
Attachment 13935

Attachment 13933

Attachment 13936

Attachment 13934
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« region-free DVD player? | Can't access a few certain websites. What do? »