Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac wont boot!

Mac wont boot!
    Hellooo im new to this so dont laugh! lol

I updated my mac last night...it took around 3 hours to update the OS...kinda locked up...mac wouldn't do anything!
    Me being the impatient person i am...i turned it off!

Now i tried to turn it this morning and it just gets stuck at the apple loading screen! help!

have i broken it ? lol...ive tried some of shortcuts & stuff but screen doesnt change ... its been like it for around an hour!

Help! ...Leys xx

Specs:
    15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
    If you're talking about the latest update, it does take a few extra minutes to reboot the first time after installing the update. Try it again and let it sit.

Ive left it for about an hour...il try it again tho & see what happens!
    thanks

I think you hosed the update, now the Mac has no idea what to do. You many need to dig out your original install disk and do the Archive and Install deal. It is straight forward, just make sure you read each item carefully before clicking continue, it is possible to completely erase your drive, go slow!

Before you do that, try to start in Safe mode, hold down the Shift key at the startup chime. It will take a while to boot, it runs a disk repair utility and empties a bunch of system and font caches. But no where near an hour! If that doesn't work, you will probably need to reinstall.

When you get the System reinstalled, you will need to redo all of the updates again. The biggest problem that people seem to have with the update is running other applications while the update is in progress. Don't!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
    Just to let you know this happened to me too. Once the download and install was completed I rebooted my MBP, and I got the Apple logo and spinning gear for 20 minutes before I finally shut the MBP off. Why, the shut down? because my fan kicked in and got louder and louder as if it were a jet engine, I was concerned that the chip might be getting way to hot and I did not want to chance screwing up my computer. I can understand rebooting taking a while but 20 minutes was way to long, so I knew there was something wrong. The final result was a new install of OS-X and all of my programs.
    My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
    Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.

one problem, i dont hv any of the disks to this mac ...i swapped it for a crap laptop with somebody who didnt hav a clue about macs lol...

is it possible to buy these disks? maybe ebay or something ?

i tried holding shift on startup but nothing happens!

Specs:
    MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
    link if your not a student:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA453Z%2FA

if you are, just goto the store, and education link on the right side. enter your school, blah blah blah, 79$

doesnt seem like you can wait but leopard is right around corner (10.5)
    2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt

student discount is well good!
    well im gettin a tutor to have a look at it 2moro...if he cnt fix it - il be back! lol

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Are you talking about 10.4.9 or 10.5?

My .9 was easy, but of course backing up before a major OS upgrade is always prudent. If I go to Leopard, I'll be doing it clean anyway.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Unhappy Same Problem. Won't boot tiger w/ cd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger-63 View Post
    The final result was a new install of OS-X and all of my programs.
    I AM also having the same problem as we speak. I have my OSX Tiger cds but it will not run!!! I pop in the disk one but it just sits there at the apple screen. Anybody have a good solution for this?

i've also tried holding shift and nothing happens. one thing i did notice is that for a split second before it goes to the gray apple screen and stays there, it flashes a picture of a folder with a question mark on it. did you get that too?

i just reformated with tiger and if i can't get tiger to start i would like to reinstall it again but this time the cd won't boot.

Thx in advance

Specs:
    G3 b&w, running os 9(due to HD problems), slot loader, 600mHz, 133mHz 256Mb & 512Mb SDRAM
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I have a G3 slot-loading imac running OSX 10.3.9 and I was running out of memory so I deleted some files and the next day I turned the computer on and it just sat there with the apple logo and the spinning gear thing. I thought it was just being slow so I left it alone for an hour. I come back and it's still just sitting there. I've done all I think I can do, and I've got it running back on the os 9 installation disc but I can only get it to run on that. I am able to access my hard drive and I tried using my iPod as a storage device but the computer says it's unreadable so I have to delete everything on it to make it readable. I'm afraid to clear my hard drive after I back it up onto my ipod because what if the ipod is unreadable after I clear the hard drive? All my stuff is on that computer and I don't want to lose it.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really need an external Firewire drive. Back your files up to that. Then you can try to figure out what might be wrong with the internal drive. My guess is that it is dying, so the sooner you get your things backed up the better!
    Also, you probably should create your own thread, this one started out as a 10.5 update problem. You will get more hits with your own post.

Specs:
    G3 b&w, running os 9(due to HD problems), slot loader, 600mHz, 133mHz 256Mb & 512Mb SDRAM
    Help!
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I have a G3 slot-loading imac running OSX 10.3.9 and I was running out of memory so I deleted some files and the next day I turned the computer on and it just sat there with the apple logo and the spinning gear thing. I thought it was just being slow so I left it alone for an hour. I come back and it's still just sitting there. I've done all I think I can do, and I've got it running back on the os 9 installation disc but I can only get it to run on that. I am able to access my hard drive and I tried using my iPod as a storage device but the computer says it's unreadable so I have to delete everything on it to make it readable. I'm afraid to clear my hard drive after I back it up onto my ipod because what if the ipod is unreadable after I clear the hard drive? All my stuff is on that computer and I don't want to lose it.

Specs:
    Thanks Sherman Homan

I have 2 questions

1. i'm new to forums and I... don't really know how to start my own thread.

2. where can I get an external firewire drive?

1 You have a problem best defined under the Apple Desktop forums:
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/
    so click that New Thread button!
    2 Depends on where you are, BestBuy, newegg.com

Thread Information