New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Should I wait for 10.5 or get 10.4 now?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
xpxixpy

 
Member Since: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 4
xpxixpy is on a distinguished road

xpxixpy is offline
Hi all.
I've used MS Windows for years and I've committed to switching to a Mac. My question is, should I get a Mac now or should I wait for Leopard, given that its release should be sometime in the next three months? I'm specifically talking about a top of the line Mac BookPro (I do fairly intense computer, often connected to Unix clusters). Although there is no dire need to switch now, I want it! Yet, I don't want to feel as if I'm out data a month or so after I get the new computer. I wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade to 10.5, but I hate dealing with setting (essentially) everything back up (specifically the programs I use with all of their respective settings).
Thanks for any thoughts,
KK
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

 
kman445's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2006
Location: Ottawa ,Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,328
kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz Core2Duo // 15" Macbook Pro2.53GHz Core2Duo

kman445 is offline
well if its not a rush, and you dont absolutly need it right now then wait. For all we know there could even be new models of apple laptops.

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

 
IronMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 08, 2004
Posts: 578
IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

IronMac is offline
Not to mention that there is isnt really a much to do as far as setting things up in a OS X migration. There isn't even a Product Key.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

 
mac57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 29, 2006
Location: St. Somewhere
Posts: 4,560
mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

mac57 is offline
Leopard has been planned for release in the first half of 2007. There are only three months of that half left, so the maximum wait *should* be about three months, and possibly less. That is not that long to wait. Admitedly, there are no guarantees that Leopard will be released in that time frame, but it is a good bet. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released any day now. I am rather surprised that it is not out already actually.

Waiting for Leopard saves you the $100+ upgrade fee to buy Leopard when it comes out, since it comes preinstalled on your new Mac. AND, it is not just the $100+, but also the time and effort it takes to install the new OS. This is not huge, but depending on your level of comfort with doing this sort of thing, having it come pre loaded could be quite a benefit.

Finally, and this is just a guess on my behalf, I am suspecting that iLife 07 will come along for the ride on new Macs sporting Leopard. This is just a guess, but a reasoned one. If this is the case, waiting for Leopard before buying the new Mac makes quite a bit of sense, since I have heard that, for example, when you buy Tiger, you don't get iLife 06 included - you have to buy it separately. Thus, waiting for Leopard before buying may save you not just the $100+ for the OS upgrade, but also the $xx.xx (not sure what the price will be) for the iLife upgrade.

For myself, I am waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro until Leopard comes out, for all these reasons. I realize that this means that I may have to wait for a few months, but I see it as worth it.

In the end, this is a VERY personal call. How badly do you want a new Mac? Getting the Mac now, with Tiger, is not a bad move. We are all of us, by definition, currently using Macs with Tiger on them, and we are all generally very happy with them. There are some perhaps tangible benefits to waiting for Leopard, but these must be weighed against the benefit of having your shiny new Mac right now! As I said, a very personal weighing of priorities is in order I think.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

 
Nagger Pumper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 28, 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 431
Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

Nagger Pumper is offline
personally i would wait. the wait now will probubally save you some money and regret in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

 
mikeyman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 01, 2007
Posts: 751
mikeyman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

mikeyman is offline
Do you reckon apple with give us mac owners free upgrades if we bought a mac in the last year?

Or if my mac should just "break" will i get it back with leopard

QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

 
Nagger Pumper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 28, 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 431
Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

Nagger Pumper is offline
i seriousally doubt that apple will give owners free upgrades if you bought a mac in the last year, i'm not sure though
QUOTE Thanks
vipervin

 
Member Since: Mar 21, 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 21
vipervin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2GHz 1GB RAM 120GB HDD

vipervin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
Do you reckon apple with give us mac owners free upgrades if we bought a mac in the last year?

Or if my mac should just "break" will i get it back with leopard
hahah i think i will also have my mac "break" when it comes time for the upgrade

MacBook Black
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
1 GB DDR2 PC2-5300
120 GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

 
Cherokee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 19, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 512
Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

Cherokee is offline
I would probably just wait. I think the next thing we will see from Apple is a refresh of the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. Of course that's just speculation on my part. Waiting for Leopard may bring you some newer, faster hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,591
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
Do you reckon apple with give us mac owners free upgrades if we bought a mac in the last year?

Or if my mac should just "break" will i get it back with leopard
The only time you may see a free upgrade is if you purchased your system a week or two before the release of the new OS. If you have Applecare and Apple replaces the system disk on your unit. You might, but most likely it will be the OS that came with your system.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

 
mikeyman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 01, 2007
Posts: 751
mikeyman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

mikeyman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
The only time you may see a free upgrade is if you purchased your system a week or two before the release of the new OS. If you have Applecare and Apple replaces the system disk on your unit. You might, but most likely it will be the OS that came with your system.
I took apple care out,
but i guess i will wait and pay for the OS like everyone else

Does anyone know how to become a beta tester?
do you have to work for the company?

QUOTE Thanks
zeroz52

 
zeroz52's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 11, 2007
Posts: 72
zeroz52 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD

zeroz52 is offline
I tried the waiting game, and just couldn't do it. I have no patience. My first mac will be here in 2 days. If you can wait and really don't need the computer right now, then I would wait.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
To me, this decision is a very simple one. It all comes down to this...

Is there a killer feature in Leopard that you absolutely must have?

If not, then wait. If so, consider that most of the features touted in Leopard are readily available via add-ons from the aftermarket.

If you want a Mac, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Tiger. To me Leopard is to Tiger what Windows ME was to Windows 98. Besides, you can always upgrade later and the price of admission really isn't that high at $130.

It will be at least a few more months before Leopard. The last developer builds appeared to be still relatively unstable. Features are still being added. Typically when an OS is close to ready, they stop adding features and have most of the bugs shaken out. My prediction is worth a grain of salt, but I would say we're looking at June at the earliest. Even then, it will be a first generation product that will be in need of some refinement - not something that's worth an immediate jump to upgrade in my opinion.

So, although it's been asked and answered on countless occasions now, once again my take is that you should just buy now.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

 
mikeyman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 01, 2007
Posts: 751
mikeyman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

mikeyman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroz52 View Post
I tried the waiting game, and just couldn't do it. I have no patience. My first mac will be here in 2 days. If you can wait and really don't need the computer right now, then I would wait.
I can empathise with you how hard it would have been for you to wait.
I was lucky i didnt get a mac mini at the end of summer / august and waited until xmas when my macbook turned up

But i should have waited until leopard just thinking about it
oh well, you cant have everything
my uncle is still on panther
it just looks like so much fun with time machine etc

QUOTE Thanks
xpxixpy

 
Member Since: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 4
xpxixpy is on a distinguished road

xpxixpy is offline
Thanks to all for your thoughts.
I think I'll wait until 10.5 comes out, since I only want and do not need the Mac. I suppose I do need it, but it will be fine to wait.
Thanks and take care,
KK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« finder icon | Where to start looking in console for internet connection problems? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buy now or wait for 10.5 Redleg91 Switcher Hangout 6 02-07-2007 10:19 PM
To wait, or not to wait macpwns Apple Notebooks 2 06-09-2006 03:47 PM
Can i have 10.2 and 10.4 installed on the one mac? Rochey OS X - Operating System 5 05-31-2006 07:21 AM
MacBook Pro - To wait or not to wait? Spicky Apple Notebooks 29 05-15-2006 12:29 AM
Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch? Abrodzinski Apple Desktops 9 02-01-2006 07:15 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?