recovering 'lost' disk space
    I'm new to mac osx, and have run into a space problem on my hard drive and am hoping someone can help. I somehow managed to create a 40gb .sparse file (I think it had something to do with filevault) on a 80gb hard drive. I moved the file to the trash and then emptied it, rebooted, but now now the space is being reported as used even though it doesn't show up in any of the disk inventory tools I've tried.

I tried doing all of the things in this post http://www.macfixitforums.com/showfl...&Number=770243, but still no luck. Does anybody have any idea how I can recover this space without reinstalling the OS. It's using over half my hard drive, and I can't find it!

Specs:
    iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4
    Get DiskInventoryX and identify the large chunks on your hard drive. See if you sparse file still shows up.
    If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Just a silly thought. A file named .sparse is an "invisible" file. Are you sure that your effort to trash the file succeeded?
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thanks to both of you. I initially used DiskInventoryX to discover the file. Now, when I open DiskInventoryX it shows this:
    Capacity 74.2 GB
    Used: 60.5 GB
    Free: 13.7 GB

But then when I open the volume and it finishes analyzing, it shows used as being 18 GB, with the application one being the biggest at 4.1 GB. No sign of that .sparse file I thought I deleted anywhere, not even in the user .trash or the system .trashes.

Any other ideas? It seems to have let me delete the file. How can I tell if it wasn't really trashed and is still stuck somewhere?

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Unfortunately, this smacks of a file system error. I would start by going to Disk Utility, selecting your hard drive, and doing the Verify Disk operation. Hopefully this may turn up the error and even correct it.

If not, you may need to shell out for some "heavy armor", Disk Warrior, which will do a nice job of this for you. See: http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior.

Another tool in this category is Techtool Pro. See: http://www.micromat.com/index.php?op...d=31&Itemid=48

Proceed with caution in all cases however. It is all too easy to quickly answer a dialog button without carefully considering the question being asked, and trash your data. I would advise backing up all of your personal data before embarking on this fix effort, just in case it goes awry and you have to re-install.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thanks very much for the advice. Much appreciated.

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

That program will help get space back for you by getting rid of languages you dont use
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    15 Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
    Hey trpmonkey how do i free up space on my Hard drive i know the whole language thing is a big way, but i dont know how to do that how else?

Specs:
    15 Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
    I used http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/
    and went from 53.26 Used 58.21 Free and 111.47 Total too 52.98 Used 58.49 Free and 111.47 Total

Thread Information