New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Terminal problems please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CliveO

CliveO is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 iMac

I'm trying to install software from terminal.
I've just spent half a day installing items from Developer Tools, so now the command "make" is recognised by Terminal, but "compile" still isn't. My first challenge is to install fink; the instructions tell me to unpack, navigate into the folder in Terminal and type "./bootstrap.sh". Terminal tells me there's no such directory, but I can see the file.
Is "./" a command? I've seen it before in abortive attempts to use Terminal. Can somebody point me to the top secret location where all the Terminal programs are stored so I can install them (Ha Ha) and use the thing to compile and install programs rather than just rename files and create/delete directories.
Does anybody know of a resource that tell you how Unix works instead of giving you lines of instructions to copy which don't work if you're stuck with the default Terminal application?
Thanks
Clive
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

First bootstrap.sh is a shell script. To run this little program you need to be in the directory/folder where it is located. Using ./bootstrap.sh, you are saying to run this program which is located in the directory/folder where I setting. That is the reason for the ./, which is the locate of the script.

Normally when you compile something you will use something like gcc, cc, CC, and perl to name a few. If you see compile, it should be a name of a script that contain the compiling options.

As for how Unix works you can search the net, or get your self a book on Unix.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Do you have gcc installed yet? That is what make generally uses for compiling.

./ is simply a way of identifying the current folder. Have you tried just typing in bootstrap.sh without the leading ./? ...howver, the ./ version should work. Are the permissions right for bootstrap.sh? Is it executable? Perhaps typing "sh <bootstrap.sh" might resolve the issue?

In Terminal, type "env", and look for the PATH variable. It will contain all the locations that Terminal looks when looking for programs whose names you have typed in. If you need to add to it, do something like:

PATH=$PATH:/new_path_element

Finally, I would recommend looking at DarwinPorts vs. Fink. I find it much better. See: http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

IIRC, the Developer Toolkit installs all the gcc stuff and some other utilities that allow you to compile the Darwin ports and other things that you would want to make from the command line, but your default environment won't necessarily point to where it puts all the binaries. I seem to recall having to manually add /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin to my $PATH in my .bash_profile before I could start compiling things.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I needed to modify that before I could get on to bash-ing things about.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Here is my full PATH var (and I have been compiling software on my Mac, and building things with DarwinPorts for some time):

Quote:
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/Users/mac57/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
I got this via the magic Terminal.app command:

Code:
env | grep -i path

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

All you need to do to see your path is this:

echo $PATH

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks rman - I knew that! Been using Linux too long now; it is the opposite of the Mac paradigm; I tend to do things the complex way!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting 2 volumes on main HD | diskutil resizeVolume question »