New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Why does this happen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drpepper99uk

Drpepper99uk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.

Hello,

I've been using OS X for some time now, and I keep getting this annoying box pop up everytime I open Mozilla or Thunderbird before it actually loads the program itself for me to work on.

I have taken a screen shot of what happens just before the program itself loads. Is there anyway of stopping this happening in future? The Thunderbird icon on the far right hand side of the screen below where the icon called "Picture 1.jpg" only appears after selecting to load thunderbird from the dock on the bottom of the screen, and then the large box pictured above then appears, and then the program itself loads in full screen leaving what's seen above behind it in the background until I decide to minimise the screen.

Michael.
QUOTE Thanks
IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD

When that box comes up, drag that icon into your apps folder in finder... Delete whatever is in your dock by clicking and dragging it onto the desktop. Then drag the icon in your apps folder onto your dock. Try clicking on the icon on your dock, and it should all be fixed.

Owner of a '89 Mk2 Jetta
Can't forget those G3 iMacs!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Its because you haven't installed the program, you are running it from the disk image that you downloaded.

You need to drag the Thunderbird app from the folder that pops up in your destop to your applications folder, and then run it from your applications folder.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Drpepper99uk

Drpepper99uk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.

Hello,

Thanks guys, it was starting to bug me a bit!!! ;-)

Michael.
QUOTE Thanks
IceCreamMan

IceCreamMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD

Glad to help! Enjoy your Mac!

Owner of a '89 Mk2 Jetta
Can't forget those G3 iMacs!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

To elaborate a little more on what others have said, when you download most Mac software, it comes in a "DMG" file. DMG is a "disk image", which when double-clicked "mounts" as a virtual hard drive on your desktop. Many applications will run straight from that virtual drive without any type of installation process. But when you reboot, the virtual drive is no longer mounted and the application is not available until you run the DMG file again and mount it. To "properly" install the application, the window you're seeing is trying to tell you to drag and drop it onto your Applications folder (and for your convenience presents a handy shortcut so that you don't have to open up any additional windows). You literally just drag the program icon and drop it on the shortcut to your Applications directory in the same window.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« two weird sounds? | Adjustment Period? »