New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Problem with the Sreen Saver in preferences

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gemigene

gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Hi,

Something strange is going on, when I load my System Preferences pane and click on the desktop/Screensaver option, the panel loads but if i click on the Screen Saver tab, select a screensaver, it's not highlighted till I click the time slider. There is no preview, everything freezes, sometimes the "start screen saver text" next to the slider or the slider itself disappears, all buttons are dead and I have to close it by clicking Quit System Preferences from the main menu. Even tough this behaves strangely, I still get whatever screen saver I selected.

I tried everything I could think of and read on this forum but to no avail (repaired permissions, tried with a new user account, deleted the preferencepanes.cache and the screensavers plist files, etc.).

Also, if I click on the Desktop section first and change the background, everything works well till I click on the Screen Saver tab, it freezes and doesn't go into that part of the pane.

Any ideas?
Gemigene
:radioacti

iMac17, OS-X 10.4.9
QUOTE Thanks
Specialk51288

Specialk51288 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo | 3 GB RAM | 160 GB HD

what screensaver are you using?...is it the iTunes album art one? that one has a known problem when you chose to have two rows. Or is it just any screensaver?

Life is a game, whoever has the most money at the end wins.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialk51288 View Post
what screensaver are you using?...is it the iTunes album art one? that one has a known problem when you chose to have two rows. Or is it just any screensaver?
I never used the iTunes art, I mostly use "Beach" or "Forest" and they do work even though the pane freezes up on me after selecting one. Strange, isn't it?

Even stranger yet is that when I open up the screen saver folders (user or system), there's nothing in them...

Gene
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I tried to search for a screensaver pref file but it doesn't seem to exist.

Could you create a new user account and use that one and see if the problem persists in that account as well?

Let us know what are the results of this, please. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
I tried to search for a screensaver pref file but it doesn't seem to exist.

Could you create a new user account and use that one and see if the problem persists in that account as well?

Let us know what are the results of this, please. :girl:
Tried the new user account and got the same problem, it sure looks like it's a system wide glitch. Wonder if I can just restore that part of preferences, don't feel like reinstalling the OS only to access a working screen saver panel.

Thanks,
Gene
BTW, love your Avatar, Lilly Tomlin on Laugh-In, the good ol' days...
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ooh! Gemigene! You are truly a buddy of mine!

You normally use Pacifist to install just one part that you need. Can you install it over an existing part? I really don't know what you can do...

I wouldn't want to tell you to do something and mess up your system royally. At first thought, I imagined you could maybe drag the System Preferences in the trash and reinstall the System Preferences from your install disks. But maybe that is hazardous to your Mac's health...
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Ooh! Gemigene! You are truly a buddy of mine!
Also got a heck of a kick out of Arte Johnson....

Quote:
You normally use Pacifist to install just one part that you need. Can you install it over an existing part? I really don't know what you can do...

I wouldn't want to tell you to do something and mess up your system royally. At first thought, I imagined you could maybe drag the System Preferences in the trash and reinstall the System Preferences from your install disks. But maybe that is hazardous to your Mac's health...
Thanks for the link, I'll sure have a look at it.

Merci et un gros Salut de Gatineau!
Gene

p.s. your avatar influenced me to the point of getting one too. LOL
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
Also got a heck of a kick out of Arte Johnson....

Thanks for the link, I'll sure have a look at it.

Merci et un gros Salut de Gatineau!
Gene

p.s. your avatar influenced me to the point of getting one too. LOL
Ben salut, toi!

Well with our avatars we can have a Laugh In party! Whee!

Ok well let us know how this went and if everything worked or not. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialk51288 View Post
I have that problem how do I fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonb View Post
I have that problem how do I fix it?
Wish I could help you, I haven't found a solution to my problem and decided I didn't want to re-install OS-X just for that.

Cheers,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hey gemigene!

When this started happening, do you recall if you installed any new software or added a new peripheral to your setup? Or did you install a third-party screensaver perhaps?

Oh and Bonne Saint-Jean in case we don't get to see each other again till then!
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Hey gemigene!

When this started happening, do you recall if you installed any new software or added a new peripheral to your setup? Or did you install a third-party screensaver perhaps?

Oh and Bonne Saint-Jean in case we don't get to see each other again till then!
Well Hi! Long time no chat...

If I remember correctly, 2 things happened on the same day, I installed a screensaver which didn't really work well so I deleted it and also installed an update from Apple. Mind you, I think it was that screensaver that screwed things up (or deleting it, I was a Mac newbie at the time).

And Bonne Saint-Jean toi aussi, amuses-toi bien!

Salut,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hmm. Did you try clearing the system cache? If you've never heard of it, use MainMenu. And clean out the System cache (Deep Clean).
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

Quote:
Hmm. Did you try clearing the system cache? If you've never heard of it, use MainMenu. And clean out the System cache (Deep Clean).
Hey, merci beaucoup.

Downloaded MainMenu and will give it a spin, looks like a better solution than MacJanitor.

Thanks again,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You, of course, can try the other scripts in there to clean and fix your OS install. Just so you know, once you restart (after cleaning out the cache you have to restart) the startup will feel slower to you than usual: no worries, it's simply the system rebuilding its cache from scratch.

Pas de problème! J'espère qu'on aura réglé ton problème une fois pour toutes! À bientôt, je l'espère! (Non, pas pour d'autres problèmes, juste pour que tu viennes nous visiter et avoir du fun avec la gang!)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« computer needs to be restarted(Kernal Panic) | Is 10.5 a free upgrade when it's released? »