New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mouse Freezes on Startup Mystery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

The mouse froze in the top-left corner again after startup, forcing a hard boot. The machine is a dual-gig Windtunnel running 10.3. There is one message on this board from December of last year about this, but it appears no one had an answer. Maybe there'll be better luck this time.

The freeze occurs at least once a week or so and requires a hard boot. But this time, when the steam from my ears dissipated, I figured it was past time to slay the dragon. More than a decade is long enough; it's been a thorn for umpteen systems back and four machines, beginning on an LC running 7.0, and I have vague recollections of it occurring on machines at my long-ago workplace that had IICs running 6.2.

Five left-of-the-decimal-point system advancements leaves little that can be common to all, including the three System Xs I've had, all of which are guilty.

Maybe it's a string of boilerplate by a long-dead programmer who was bitter with the world. Whatever, does anyone have the answer?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I know I'm a bit repetative on this, but it's usually a good start. Have you tried repairing permissions and been up to date on cron tasks? Just in case so you don't have to wait for another reply:
Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, varify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of dailly) and monthly. again with all apps closed.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

Hi, Witeshark

Thanks for the reply. Alas, all that stuff is up to date. I use MacJanitor and OnyX, and I have Norton 8.0, but that's another post. I wonder whether there is any code still being used from way back when that carries such a flaw. It would have had to follow it through all the changes over a zillion years and affect ADB, USB and wireless mice.

Maybe its the ghost in the machine. Can't trust them ghosts.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Are you using Apple or other then Apple RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Apple RAM, in the machine out of the box.
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

I had the same issue on my 17" powerbook. Removing the extra 512 ram fixed the problem. Sent the ram in for replacement and haven't received it back yet.

No mouse freezes or kernel panics since I pulled the extra ram.

Jerry
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« g4 dual500 panther 10.3.3 connect via ethernet dhcp | arrangement tab missing. dual monitor help. »