Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
    Is there any way to make Mac OS X look like Windows XP?
    Let me make this clear right off the bat. I LOVE THE WAY MAC OS X IS SET UP AND THIS QUESTION IS NOT FOR ME. However, since my Dad is now thinking about getting an iMac and he's never used a Mac in his life and he has enough trouble using Windows as it is, is there any type of program to make Mac OS X look like Windows XP so that my Dad's switch will be a bit easier? I'm kinda looking for something like Flyakite for Mac.
    "Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer

Specs:
    iBook G4 OSX Tiger
    There is an XP theme available to use with shapeshifter, http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/details.php?id=10, but I don't think it will help him get used to OSX. It will just have him asking "It LOOKS like windows, why doesn't it WORK like windows" and may end up confusing him even more.
    Ridiculous- adjective: deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd. ex. It is ridiculous how many people think the word ridiculous is spelled with an 'e'.

Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCustomer99 View Post
    Let me make this clear right off the bat. I LOVE THE WAY MAC OS X IS SET UP AND THIS QUESTION IS NOT FOR ME. However, since my Dad is now thinking about getting an iMac and he's never used a Mac in his life and he has enough trouble using Windows as it is, is there any type of program to make Mac OS X look like Windows XP so that my Dad's switch will be a bit easier? I'm kinda looking for something like Flyakite for Mac.
    Yeah sure... a "friend" of mine has a problem.

Just kidding customer... some people (my own father included) need to make changes ever, ever so slooooooooooowly.

Specs:
    15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs
    I always prefer to just jump in, rather than wade...
    I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
    They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
    I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    I agree with surfwax95 - your father should just "bite the bullet". The Mac experience is so superior to Windows, he should try out the whole thing. He will be amazed! I suspect that he won't have that much trouble. In general, a Mac is more intuitive, and easier to use, than a Mac.

However, you might want to get him the excellent book "Mac OS X The Missing Manaul, Tiger Edition". This book will take him from (to quote a friend of mine) "from zero to hero"!
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

MacHeadCase
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelstumpf View Post
    There is an XP theme available to use with shapeshifter, http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/details.php?id=10, but I don't think it will help him get used to OSX. It will just have him asking "It LOOKS like windows, why doesn't it WORK like windows" and may end up confusing him even more.
    I entirely agree with Michael.

It could add to his dad's frustration in having to learn a new OS from something that almost looks identical to what he is more used to.

Specs:
    iMac--OSX 10.6.7
    I suspect that I am older than your father and I recently switched to a Mac. There is no way I would want this machine to look anything like Windows. That would only remind me of all the problems I used to have before making the change. I would certainly recommend another book in the 'Missing Manual' series. It is called "Switching to the Mac" and is by David Pogue. It guides you easily into the new system by showing the Mac equivalents to Windows methods.

Specs:
    Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
    i jumped in too. Granted I was still using a Windows machine everyday until a bit over a week ago when i got my ibook g4. Of course my mac before was a g3 so anyone can see why i was still using the PC. I love macs now, i want to upgrade a few things though.
    Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
    iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black

Specs:
    Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
    Yeah sure... a "friend" of mine has a problem.
    Jeez RIDE, I just made my Mac look awesome. You can see the picture in the Post Your Desktop thread here. There is no way on earth that I'd ever want to go back to that clunky, ugly windows look.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstumpf View Post
    It will just have him asking "It LOOKS like windows, why doesn't it WORK like windows" and may end up confusing him even more.
    Well, at least he's making a move in the right direction. He seems pretty serious about getting a 20" iMac.
    "Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer

Specs:
    13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
    Oldie here too who changed over alone with the help of 'The Missing Manual' With even older switchers most seem happier with their favourite desktop picture 'Wallpaper' and plenty of alias's 'Shortcuts' on the desktop in case they get lost You could try a folder of Alias's in the Dock to look like the start menu.....
    ~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    I can see this. I did something similar, but the other way. Before I switched, I downloaded a Windows theme (sounded something like firefly?) that basically made my windows environment looks like OSX. The creator did a brilliant job and it's brought me one step closer to my eventual switch. I almost for got about, but now that I think about it, I should change the Windows side of my MBP to the theme so it's not such a difference when I switch back and forth.

Specs:
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCustomer99 View Post
    LOL if he has enough trouble using windows then why make it look like windows?

I switched my parent's to mac and it didn't take long at all to adjust because it isn't windows XP. They love how OS X is easier for them.
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I can see this. I did something similar, but the other way. Before I switched, I downloaded a Windows theme (sounded something like firefly?) that basically made my windows environment looks like OSX.
    It's called Flyakite, I use it on my older Dell Dimension 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyfive View Post
    LOL if he has enough trouble using windows then why make it look like windows?

I switched my parent's to mac and it didn't take long at all to adjust because it isn't windows XP. They love how OS X is easier for them.
    Good point.

Specs:
    Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Good God. Make your OS look like a relic from 2001? Yuck.

Seriously though, you'd just end up with a different font and solid blue title bars. It wouldn't make it at all like Windows and it wouldn't save your dad any confusion at all.

Anyway, all he has to learn is that all the programs he needs are at the bottom of the screen in the dock. Just click on what he wants to get going.

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by frazzm737 View Post
    I suspect that I am older than your father and I recently switched to a Mac. There is no way I would want this machine to look anything like Windows. That would only remind me of all the problems I used to have before making the change. I would certainly recommend another book in the 'Missing Manual' series. It is called "Switching to the Mac" and is by David Pogue. It guides you easily into the new system by showing the Mac equivalents to Windows methods.
    This is probably the best advice so far. A "been there, done that" user, providing first hand experience.

I agree with others, too - whatever you do, DON'T make your dad's Mac experience resemble ANYTHING like his Windows experience, unless you want to sour his opinion of OS X as well.
    That would leave only Linux - and you don't want to hand that off to anyone coming from Windows cold turkey.:eek:

Thread Information