New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Do Not Download 10.4.9 Update!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

buffymac

buffymac is on a distinguished road

Downloaded the new OS10 update for my G5 PowerMac as soon as it appeared on my screen. What a nightmare! Upon rebooting, I lost my two WD firewire external hard drives, plus my firewire scanner and Epson printer. Spent four hours on the phone yesterday morning with Apple tech support, Adobe, Extensis, local techie, etc. Apple's advice was to reinstall the original operating system, which played havoc with all preferences, etc. for Adobe CS2 and Acrobat, Quark, Suitcase Fusion -- just everything. A day later, I am still not back to normal. BEWARE! I had a perfectly fine working machine until I downloaded the 10.4.9 update!
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

i have just done the upgrade and not had any issues so far - but dont have loads of stuff connected or software like the OP.

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Sorry to hear about your issues with 10.4.9.

I ran the upgrade on my MacBook and three iBooks without a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Spent four hours on the phone yesterday morning with Apple tech support,
4 hours to tell 3 companies your printers weren't being recognised?

Reinstalling is a last resort. What else did you try first?
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Most of the problems I have heard with 10.4.9 involve installing the update with other programs running. It has also been strongly suggested to fire up Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions first.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Another tip MHC came up with was to remove all peripherals before upgrading too
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

For the first time ever with my Mac did I have a problem and it was with this update. (see other 10.4.9 post) The end result was a clean install, and I still have 6-8 hours of reinstall work to do.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

This is bad, very bad. I may sit this one out. I have a perfectly functioning Mac at this point and don't want to mess it up. Bad on you Apple! Not at all like your usual performance!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I just did a SuperDuper! backup, cleaned out caches and other MainMenu stuff, restarted with peripherals unplugged, installed the three updates that were ready for me via Softwate Update, restarted and here I am! No problems whatsoever. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

i have not had any problems with installing the 10.4.9 update. i even had all my programs opened that i usually run while doing the update.

white Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo/ 2 GB ram/ 60 GB HDD/ Wireless bluetooth mouse/ JBL Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Except for a little issue with my widgets, I had no problems. Restart took a long time, though and I was very tempted to turn off the computer. Sounds like a bunch of people did exactly that ... which might have contributed to their troubles.

Nonetheless, there are quite a few people who seem to be having enough trouble with the update that I'd hold off for a bit unless one of the fixes affects you directly in a major way.
QUOTE Thanks
nicu

nicu is on a distinguished road

>> Restart took a long time

had exactly the same on an intel macbook, I would add that is was LONG*LONG not just long time.

The second restart also took a while to load the OS, the 3rd restart was shorted than the secobd, the 4th shorter than the 3rd. On 5th or 6th everything was back to normal, the speed to boot was as before the update.

Everything else seems to work as did till the update.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

BTW, I don't know if you all saw it but Apple has released today iTunes 7.1.1 (also an iTunes 7.1.1 update for Windoze) and it was in one of the three installs I earlier posted about.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicu View Post
>> Restart took a long time

The second restart also took a while to load the OS, the 3rd restart was shorted than the second, the 4th shorter than the 3rd. On 5th or 6th everything was back to normal, the speed to boot was as before the update.
I would say that my 3rd restart took longer than my 6th, or maybe it was the 7th restart. No, now that I think about it the 4th restart was in fact longer than the 15th restart. Anyway, Who's on third?

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

You're supposed to disconnect all firewire devices when installing an update. Not sure about USB.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I change my trash can icon? | Change filesystem on external hard drive? »