New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Firmware updates Intel MAC MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Help....Just got the new MBP and did the usual software updates. At the end I got a firmware update message. Read the instruction and followed what I expected to be an easy update. The mac is now going through a constant cycle like it is trying to load a cd...

I did what was asked in the update and when nothing seemed to be happening turned off the power button then re powered. Again the same problem....any ideas. The Apple site was not much help...I am on a window PC trying to find a fix at the moment.

If I have to start from scratch how do I do a reinstall on a MAC....?
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

There was a new release that I updated last night - it did take a little while to restart, but I just waited and everything is fine. Are you sure you need to reinstall? How long did you wait?

If you really do need to reinstall you can do so with your OS/X cd.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
There was a new release that I updated last night - it did take a little while to restart, but I just waited and everything is fine. Are you sure you need to reinstall? How long did you wait?

If you really do need to reinstall you can do so with your OS/X cd.

It is still doing nothing.

How do I reinstall?? I am VERY new to Macs
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

MaDDoG,

Here are some steps you can try:

Press C during startup Start up from a bootable CD or DVD, such as the Mac OS X Install disc that came with the computer. You can repair Permissions/Hard Disc from the Disc Utility on the DVD.

Press D during startup Start up in Apple Hardware Test (AHT), if the Install DVD 1 is in the computer.

Press Option-Command-P-R until you hear two beeps. Reset NVRAM

See if any of these help you get your MBP going again.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hey MDDG! If you have DiskWarrior, run it now, this would prolly save you.

Edited to add:

Doh! Pulse replied before I did... Try what Pulse suggests. If not, think about getting DiskWarrior, it does a great job and saves the day all the time.

*Hiya Pulse, btw! Tip o' the hat to you, sir!*
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

The poor thing is sitting there clicking like it is trying to read a cd that is not in the drive.

If I do a fresh reinstall do I put the CD/DVD in and the power off then on again or do I need to push C or similar at the same time as it reboots? I am very disenchanted in new pride and joy.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

MDDG, did you wait till your MBP powered down then press the power button to launch the firmware updater?
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
MDDG, did you wait till your MBP powered down then press the power button to launch the firmware updater?
I'm pretty sure I did....but after power on nothing seemed to happening so I powered off again
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Clicking? Could this be a hard drive failure about to happen? Run the Hardware Test right now. Run it in Extended Mode.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Clicking? Could this be a hard drive failure about to happen? Run the Hardware Test right now. Run it in Extended Mode.
I'm new at MAc and thats greek to me......
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Power off, pop the DVD in, then press the power button and when you hear the chime - it's time to press the 'C' key. Check your permissions/hard disc using Disc Utility first before we think of any reinstallation.

Hi MHC!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Put DVD 1 in the drive, start up and press/hold 'D' at the chime ... forget my above post for now...

)Apologies, MDDG & MHC for clash-postings(
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

Its not reading the DVD at all.....and all I get is black screen and clicking noise when the dvd is out, and no clicking noise and black screen when it is in.

I have a huge day tomorrow and have to be up at 5am so I have about had it tonight thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

If you can only get your MBP going somehow, you could delete the firmware update then things may return to normal, though that clicking is worrying ... drop it into your AppleStore and they may be able to fix it quickly ...
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

Thanks....I am packing up and putting back in the box at the moment. See what a new day brings.

Thanx guys n gals
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clock on Powerbook in error | Update problem? »