New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.2 - OS X Pranks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kate27

kate27 is on a distinguished road

We use OS X in my music theory class. Once a week the chorus kids come in to use the computers and always leave them in a mess. They play around with the midi settings, leave the computers frozen, and many other annoying things. I spend half the class just trying to reset everything, and I'm not alone. So we want to get back at them...

I know the invert colors thing, but are there any other annoying pranks you can pull on the Mac?

Note: I can't download anything, I don't have administrative access.

Thanks!
-Kate
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

go into your system preferences and mess with that stuff.. colors/time/date etc.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

too bad it's not windows (hard to believe i just said that). you could make user accounts so limited they literally could do nothing but use the start button to shutdown, especially if you remember to remove the run command.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
kate27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
too bad it's not windows.
Traitor...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

lol!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
too bad it's not windows (hard to believe i just said that). you could make user accounts so limited they literally could do nothing but use the start button to shutdown, especially if you remember to remove the run command.
Good one Eric. Did that to a system once just to see what would happen. Friend I wanted to play a prank on. Never tried crippling OSX that way!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sheehan

Sheehan is on a distinguished road

you could remove everything from the doc and then go into finder prefereces and set it to not display hard drives or cds or servers on the desktop. Set the new default finder window to open as a deeply burried empty folder you create with the name " user name " (spaces on each end to make it legal but different, use the same name as the acount name) In the side bar tab of finder prefs, remove all things to the sidbar is empty.

so in effect it will look like there is nothing on the computer. the home folder will look empty, it wont even look like there is a hard drive.
so unless these kids are familiar with Finder prefs (which most people never even look in) you are golden!

goodluck

EDIT: Oh, I should have said make sure that the desktop is clear of any other files (you could put them all in a temp folder in Documents or something) We want to give them no easy option
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

install menu shade

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Take a screen shot of the normal desktop then use that as the desktop picture after hiding the dock on the right or left side if it is normally on the bottom.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
eric

that is awesome.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchy View Post
Take a screen shot of the normal desktop then use that as the desktop picture after hiding the dock on the right or left side if it is normally on the bottom.
Agreed with Eric, GREAT idea!!

Edit: I just tried it here, awesome!!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

i think i've got to do that on some of the windows workstations around here, but use an OS X screenshot and then remove all desktop shortcuts and hide/lock the taskbar.

ooh, or make an OS X screenshot the only image in my my pictures folder here at work and run the my pictures screensaver at full screen and with no transitions... just to freak out the management.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
i think i've got to do that on some of the windows workstations around here, but use an OS X screenshot and then remove all desktop shortcuts and hide/lock the taskbar.

ooh, or make an OS X screenshot the only image in my my pictures folder here at work and run the my pictures screensaver at full screen and with no transitions... just to freak out the management.
I would give anything to be there to see the looks on their faces!!!!

:spook:
QUOTE Thanks
eric

well, if anyone's got a relatively plain background and is running a resolution of 1600x1200 and wants to post a link to a screenshot, that would help a lot. a screenshot from my macbook would look a bit funny .

QUOTE Thanks
kate27

I liked the dock idea, but it won't let me mess with it. I don't have permission apparently.

And how do you take a screen shot?

Edit: Just thought of something. I know on the dell computers you can flip the screen upside down (a fun trick to play on the freshmen who like to steal your computer the second you get up ). Can you do that on mac?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change the highlight color | Arrival »