New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

mini - mac mini migration ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vlad

Vlad has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Dual 1.25 gig G4

I just got the mini I ordered and was going to use migration asst. to pull files from my emac (w/bad anolog board) but the manual says that both computers need to be running 10.4. The emac is using 10.3.9. I tried to upgrade the emac with a copy of 10.4 I had and it hangs up on destination disk verification, so I tried the new OS disk I got with the mini and saw my very first ever kernel panic. I need to retrieve the files, then I'm wiping the emac drive. I have never needed to copy a whole drives files before, so I don't know anything about Super Duper or Carbon Copy. Can either of those transfer files if one computer is running 10.3.9? Can the transfer be done using usb (time isn't and issue) or is firewire the only way? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

"If it don't stink don't stir it" - I'd be lost without my stick
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

You won't be able to install from a DVD made for Intel based system on a PPC based Mac. If you have trouble using Firewire, try USB or ethernet cable(LAN cable). Once you activate the sharing in your eMac, it should display under Network in Finder.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Any version of OS X after 10.1 will work with Migration Assistant!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/setup/
QUOTE Thanks
Vlad

I'm aware that any version will work the problem is i don't have any version that will work on the emac thats why I was wondering about carbon copy or super duper or any other program that might work with panther and tiger mix.

novicew I didn't really expect the intel version to work, I just tried it for the heck of it. If I network the two comps using usb will the will migration asst. work or will i need to just pull individual files

QUOTE Thanks
Vlad

Well just for general info, seeing that no one here really knew the answer to my question I desided to try a migration even though both comps weren't using 10.4 or higher. It worked flawlessly. I was able to pull all the files. network settings and apps. from the emac running 10.3.9 to the new intel mini without a hitch.
So you cant always believe what your read, hehe

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Alexis told you that any version of OSX after 10.1 will work and you have 10.3.9 and 10.4. She told you it would work. 10.1 is old. 10.3.9 is Panther.
QUOTE Thanks
Vlad

I appologize I'm a bit dislexic I read it as 10.4.1 not 10.1. Sorry I even misread it in the manual. Sorry my bad.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I appologize I'm a bit dislexic I read it as 10.4.1 not 10.1. Sorry I even misread it in the manual. Sorry my bad.
I understand completely. I just wanted to point that out as I was getting a bit confused also since it was clear to me so I figured I might be reading something wrong! :spook:
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough

LOL, no problem. Glad it worked.

Quote:
Alexis told you that any version of OSX after 10.1 will work and you have 10.3.9 and 10.4. She told you it would work.
He not she! :spook:

LOL. The female version of Alexis is Alexia.

Alexis was always a guy's name (originally Russian) until Dynasty came along and everyone started calling their daughters it!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
LOL, no problem. Glad it worked.

He not she! :spook:

LOL. The female version of Alexis is Alexia.

Alexis was always a guy's name (originally Russian) until Dynasty came along and everyone started calling their daughters it!
OPPS!! Sorry! :black:
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Sigh. I'm used to it.

LOL! :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX 10.4 Tiger Install??:S | dude slow mo expose »