New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Anti-Virus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac&Cheese

Mac&Cheese is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine told me I don't need anti-virus for Mac OS X.

Is this true?

My school offers a free McAffee Anti-Virus download for Mac OS X. However, if I don't need anti-virus, then I'm not going to get it so it can just eat up my RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
2J4EZ

2J4EZ is on a distinguished road

you can have one is you realy want i been with mac for alost 1year and never used a virus checker and never will use one
QUOTE Thanks
singstar

singstar is an unknown at this point

I have Virus BarrierX4, cos I was wary of being on the net without a virus checker, but its never found one!! (touch wood!!)

Love my iMac!!! :flower:
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Anti-virus programs for the Mac are a waste of money. Why you ask? Because there are NO viruses for Macs. Sounds like a crazy idea, doesn't it? But I assure you, you are not going to get viruses on your Mac.

The only viruses that could ever infect a Mac were proof-of-concept, and even then, they were very complicated and could never propagate in the wild. Also, Windows viruses don't affect OS X, so even if you open an email with a virus attached, you have nothing to worry about.

I suggest saving your space and RAM and just enjoy the security that comes with Mac OS X. :black:

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Most Mac owners will tell you they feel very secure without an anti-virus program. A virus is not impossible, but not very likely. Ya gotta make your own decision about how secure you feel without one.

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
voiceofra

voiceofra has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM

Over the last several years of owning a Mac running OS X, I've had the occasional antivirus installed. and NEVER has it found a virus.
Any Windows viruses were seen immediately as email attachments (always in emails sent to ME by someone. In a sense I was their antivirus!).
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

I would stay pro-active if I were you. If there is in the unlikely event, a Mac virus, then at least you know you are safe (if you keep it up-to-date).

Also it is good to have one as an act of goodwill. If you got emailed a Windows virus, yes it wouldn't effect you, but detecting it and killing it there and then will make sure you don't forward it on you any of your Windows friends.

It is by no means necessary though, and if RAM is an issue then you can live safe in the knowledge that you will be safe. The very rare Mac viruses are fixed in Apple updates anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

I downloaded a free AV program for use in parallels. I don't have one for the mac side of things.
QUOTE Thanks
bokeym

bokeym is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD

No need for anti-virus; unless of course you're running something like a server etc. and you want the extra security. No viruses is one of Mac's big selling points -- aka no need for anti-virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« n00b login question | Can I change the Computer Name? »