New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - I Need Input Please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JJmac79

JJmac79 is on a distinguished road

New to Mac so a little tolerance please.
I was given a 2 GHz Mac G5 machine without any OS. I see on eBay that you can buy unopened unregistered OSX-Tiger cd's that came from Apple with new machines. Assuming for a moment that they are telling the truth. Are the disks that come with new machines the complete OS, or a light version??
I would appreciate your feedback and guidance.
Thanks, Pdude
pdude@cox.net
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Welcome to M-F. The disks that come with the machines are a full version of OS X, nothing is left out.

Congrats on the new Mac.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Lisa

Lisa will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB

Welcome and congrats on your new mac! StretchR answered your question. I just wanted to say welcome.

When purchasing anything from ebay, be sure the seller is reputable by viewing their feedback and the terms of the auction. Look for any language that "just doesn't sound quite right" - . Also use a payment that offers protection. You can take it a step further and contact the seller to ask a question. I stay away from people who don't communicate. Just my preference.

There are lots of good sellers on ebay - just do your homework.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

It has been discussed here before, but note that you want the disks meant for your model (and maybe year) of machine. Buying disks that came with a different model may not work.

If you didn't get disks, then you can walk into any store that sells OS X and that will work on your G5. (That doesn't work of Intel machines yet)

You might be able to get the version that came with your machine if you phone Apple. It would be for a minimal processing fee.

Note that the next version is due in the next few months or so. This of course doesn't obsolete what you would be running, but means if you want to upgrade, it will cost extra.

Oh. There are only two versions of OS X. A client license and a Server license. The server has _extra_ corporate server type stuff. The client has no limitations otherwise.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Undelete / Recovery Tools / Lost Files | I accidentally put the applications icon(in the finder) in the trash... »