New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to save time when backing up data?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

Hi
I'm not sure where to post this, so I will post it here.
I save my data to an external hard drive. I then want to back that up to a second hard drive. At the moment, every so often I delete everything from the backup drive and then put all my data on it again. That includes all the new data, and the old data. I'm sure there must be a better way of doing this!

For example, I have a folder, and now it has more files in it than it did before. Is there some way that it can just add what is new? I.e. what it does not yet have? Perhaps a program or something can do this?

Sorry for being so ignorant about this!
Thank you
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hi
I'm not sure where to post this, so I will post it here.
I save my data to an external hard drive. I then want to back that up to a second hard drive. At the moment, every so often I delete everything from the backup drive and then put all my data on it again. That includes all the new data, and the old data. I'm sure there must be a better way of doing this!

For example, I have a folder, and now it has more files in it than it did before. Is there some way that it can just add what is new? I.e. what it does not yet have? Perhaps a program or something can do this?

Sorry for being so ignorant about this!
Thank you
Justin

I think what you're referring to is commonly known as an "incremental" backup - that is, a backup that only adds files that have been added or changed since the last full backup. These types of backups are done primarily to save time.

I use a product called SuperDuper. The free version only does full backups, but the paid-for version can incrementally add to the existing full backup. Do you think that would suit your needs?
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The incremental backups with SuperDuper is an excellent idea-- this is what I do as well, so props to cwa.

I usually run Cocktail before doing my backups. This makes sure that all my internet surfing caches are cleared out 'cause I don't need to back that stuff up. I also clear out my trash and "deleted mail" items.

Is your external drive Firewire or USB 2.0? If it's USB, you'll have some speed gain by going to Firewire.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

My drives are USB 2. As far as I understand there is only a USB input in the drives, no firewire.

Would that program work for incremental backup of just one folder, rather than the whole disc?
And as for a whole system backup, does it matter that it is actually an external drive which I am backing up, NOT my computer? I am trying to backup one external drive to another one.

Thanks!
Justin

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
My drives are USB 2. As far as I understand there is only a USB input in the drives, no firewire.

Would that program work for incremental backup of just one folder, rather than the whole disc?
And as for a whole system backup, does it matter that it is actually an external drive which I am backing up, NOT my computer? I am trying to backup one external drive to another one.

Thanks!
Justin
It doesn't matter what drive you backup, but you must backup the entire drive.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Another vote for SuperDuper! here, although bear in mind that Time Machine's going to be part of Leopard...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X Chenge Desktop Image | Reinstalling OSX on iBookG4 »