New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Finder quitting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darin

darin is on a distinguished road

I updated my my 12 inch iBook G4 (10.4.8) last night and after rebooting it, it seems like any thing that has to do with browsing files crashes my Finder.

Anything at all that lets me access my files crashes it; I try command-n for a new finder window, browse through file > open in other programs.

Anybody experiencing this also? Anybody know how to fix this?

I also already tried putting into single-user mode and deleting the com.apple.finder.plist.

Thanks in advanced.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Have you downloaded any third party apps lately.... like stuffit????

Welcome to the Forums Darin!
QUOTE Thanks
darin

Yes, I have stuffit on my system. But I have had it for about a year now without a problem until tonight when I updated some stuff with software update. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

It does not sound like it is a Stuffit problem if you have had that installed for such a long time.

If you'd like you can delete the com.apple.finder.plist file which is located in the following path:

/Users/HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Doing this will delete all of your finder preferences (column widths, default views, etc).. which to me is not a big deal at all.

If you'd like to be extra safe... just drag the file to the desktop instead of deleting it...

After moving or deleting the file... log-out, then back in. See if the problem is "cured".

Finder will automatically generate a new .plist file where you moved/deleted the old one... if you decide you want to use the original .plist file... just delete the newly generated .plist, and move the original back to where it goes.

Let us know if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
darin

Yeah, I've already deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file and still nothing. All I want to do is browse my files so I can put them on a disk and reformat my computer but I can't even browse my files
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

You might want to open Console and look through the logs for an answer. I would also try opening Disk Utility after booting from the OS DVD and repair the disk. If that doesn't work, try an Archive & Install. It sounds like some critical Finder files were corrupted, likely due to a hard drive issue. Repairing the disk will mark those sectors as bad, causing the OS to avoid using them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I install Tiger to slot load G3 400MHZ | Airport Update 2007-002: Caution »