New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Help my G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

velvetazz

velvetazz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: '99 G4 500mhz 1Gb ram 27Gb Hd

I just bought an older G4 w/500mhz, 1Gb Ram, 27 Gb Hd. I am trying to upload OS 10.47. but all i get is a black screen with alot of stuff on it and in the background it says for me to restart, if i do i get it again. What is wrong with my ****. P.s. the OSX i'm using is from a friends new iMac, so maybe this has something to do with it.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Well, if your friend has a new iMac, you most certainly cannot use it with the G4. It is also not legal to use someone else installation Disc.
QUOTE Thanks
velvetazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
Well, if your friend has a new iMac, you most certainly cannot use it with the G4. It is also not legal to use someone else installation Disc.
I know that, i was just doing it as a free way to make sure the computer could handle the new OS. So do you think thats the reason its messing up? Oh and also i was wondering would i be able to (Legally or not) to use a co py i buy on my old iMac? (another test to find out if that computer can handle it too)

I'm not tryin to break the law here, but i don't wanna buy a new OS that my computers can't handle.

P.S. The Imac is a G3 400mhz, 500mb Ram, 15Gb Hd
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

It isn't just the legality of what you are attempting to do. It's also that install disks that come with Macs are model specific.

Plainly put, you cannot use an OS install disk from an Intel-based iMac to install said OS on your iMac G3.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

You could simply look up the minimum system requirements for the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
velvetazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
It isn't just the legality of what you are attempting to do. It's also that install disks that come with Macs are model specific.

Plainly put, you cannot use an OS install disk from an Intel-based iMac to install said OS on your iMac G3.
Thats the answer i was looking for, THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
You could simply look up the minimum system requirements for the OS.
Done that but i like to be doublely sure of things that involve spending my cash.
You guys have been a great help. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

I understand about making sure before you spend your money. One of the best if not the best features a Mac has is that Apple makes both the hardware and the software. Meaning that the system reqs as provided by Apple can be regarded as gospel. Also installing a OS without all the facts is not exactly fiscally responsible. You might have checked here before your little misadventure. Hope you haven't bricked your purchase.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Macbook won't recognize Ancorman Disc | Does Ubuntu work on Intel macs?? »