Thread: foreign fonts

foreign fonts

foreign fonts
    Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help....

I'm doing some graphics work and I have to get some foreign fonts (japanese, chinese, arabic, russian etc.) into photoshop, illustrator or flash. The file I've been sent is a word .doc and my G4 emac (osx 10.3.9) automatically opens it in text edit where some of the fonts are not appearing as they should - all the languages in text edit are ticked.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I've put this in the right place, if not, sorry for any inconvenience it may cause the mods.

MacHeadCase
    Hi belimited! Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Have you tried making a text box in a new Illustrator document and importing the .doc file in the text box?

foreign fonts
    Specs:
    MacBook
    For starters, I wouldn't use TextEdit to open a .doc file. Just because you can open a .doc in TextEdit, doesn't mean you should. :black:
    Use MS Word, or if you don't have MS Office, you can dowload and use NeoOffice.
    Second, ask what the fonts are that you were sent. If you don't have those fonts installed on your system, then no matter what you use to open the .doc, you won't be able to see them correctly.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

MacHeadCase
    Oh and if you have Illustrator CS2, you will need to use the Place command. See attached screenshots below...
    Attached Images Attached Images

MacHeadCase
    DB, if you import the text in Illustrator in a text box, wouldn't you get a list of the deactivated fonts that you need to activate?

foreign fonts

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions. This has been driving me nuts all day! I had already tried so many different things, but just found that my foreign fonts were disabled in font book, and I was so sure that was one of the first things I checked!:blind:

Anyway, not only have I solved a problem, I've found a great forum too - it's been a good day after all.:mac:

MacHeadCase
    Well whoopee! And welcome aboard again! :girl:

Oh and if you have a lot of fonts you might need something a bit more powerful than Font Book.

There is a freebie that I use (no cash for Suitcase, unfortunately...) and it's Linotype's FontExplorer X. Look it up in Google, I think you'll like it.

foreign fonts

Oh and if you have a lot of fonts you might need something a bit more powerful than Font Book.

There is a freebie that I use (no cash for Suitcase, unfortunately...) and it's Linotype's FontExplorer X. Look it up in Google, I think you'll like it.
    Font book seems to be okay at the moment, but I'll look into FontExplorer X, sounds like something which may come in handy when I get another few hundred fonts to browse through. Thanks for the tip.:mac:

MacHeadCase
    Well in case you want to look it up eventually, here's the link: FontExplorer X.

Bookmark it, it might come in handy. :girl:

Edited to add:

For Mac OS X 10.3.9 and later.

Thread Information