Specs:
    See Sig
    RDC install help
    Ok, I'm yet another new user to the Mac. I just got mine today and I'm just toying around with it. I've been forever a PC user and am now making the transition. I still want to be able to use my PC remotely like I have been from my other PCs but I'd like to do it from my new MBP. I've been trying to follow these http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...gnosysreq=True
    directions.

Now it says that I should use stuffit to expand the file, and I'm using Mozilla Firefox to download it. However, when I click the link to download it, Mozilla asks me what program I want to use to open the file, and I choose Stuffit Expander. The next thing I notice is that it's saved the file to my desktop and it's still in it's *.bin file format. I also downloaded the *.hqx file, and performed the same steps choosing to open the file with Stuffit expander, but yet again, I see the hqx file on my desktop. So I double-clicked on the file, now that it's on my desktop, and it asks if I want to open the file with MS Excel.

At this point, I'm not sure what I need to do. I'm trying to follow the steps on the site listed above, but they don't seem to be working.

Can anyone help?
    MacBook Pro ......................:mac: newb
    Processor : 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4MB shared L2 cache
    Memory : 2GB
    Video : ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM ...and Boom!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" iPhone 7 iPad Air and many iPods
    Hello enigma,

I've run the RDC successfully on my MacBook for the past several months, so I figured I would follow the same steps you did. I used Safari for this operation.

I went to the Microsoft page you mentioned and looked under the "Download Now!" section.

When I click the link to the English language version of the client, it downloads a .dmg file which gets mounted on my desktop. The .dmg mounts, and in the folder that pops up on my screen, I have a folder called "Remote Desktop Connection" that just needs to be dragged to the Applications folder.

At no time does it ask me what I want to use to open it up. It just works, as they say. :-)

When I use Firefox, I get the issue you described.

My primary recommendation: use Safari.

My recommendation if you insist on using Firefox: click on the .bin file, only instead of opening the file with StuffIt, select the option to download the file to the Desktop. Once it's on the Desktop, double-click it and it should open to a .dmg file.

Good luck!

Specs:
    See Sig
    Thank you so much. You are now my new hero. That worked like a charm. I'll remember that from here on out.

[removed due to found answer]

2nd question is, do you know of a good replacement for Ultr@VNC that will work on the Mac? I don't see a Mac version of Ultr@VNC, and I so love Ultr@ because it's so handy.

Thanks again.
    MacBook Pro ......................:mac: newb
    Processor : 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4MB shared L2 cache
    Memory : 2GB
    Video : ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM ...and Boom!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" iPhone 7 iPad Air and many iPods
    I don't have any experience with this, but several Mac users are big fans of Chicken of the VNC.

Glad to help. Good luck!

Specs:
    2.0GHz Black MacBook 160GB HD 2GB RAM
    Thumbs up Remote Desktop Connection
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmafyv View Post
    Thank you so much. You are now my new hero. That worked like a charm. I'll remember that from here on out.

[removed due to found answer]

2nd question is, do you know of a good replacement for Ultr@VNC that will work on the Mac? I don't see a Mac version of Ultr@VNC, and I so love Ultr@ because it's so handy.

Thanks again.
    You're my new hero, too! I was having the same problem and switching to Safari worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip.
    MacGirl
    2GHz black MacBook 160MB 2GB RAM
    60GB white iPod & 8GB blue Nano
    iPhone 3G 16GB white

Thread Information