New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - When i install new apps...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dg.dave

dg.dave is on a distinguished road

Hi, im a new mac fan, this is my first time with this OS and i dont know how to do anything.
My question is, when i install a new application on my macbook, Safari download the file on the desktop, then i cut the file and paste it in another folder i made for new apps, i install the app and when i run it, an i con like a HD appears on my desktop, theres any way i can make them dissapear from the desktop forever, i dont like my desktop full of icons.

Ty for ur help, Dave
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Welcome to Mac-Forums Dave!

When you download an application you will see a .dmg on your desktop... double-click to open that (some auto-open to a new window).. a new window will open, and you will see the application Icon and probably a "Read Me" file. Simply click/hold on the application Icon and DRAG it to the Applications Folder. Now, close the window that still has the application Icon and the "read Me" file... now click/Hold the .dmg, and drag it to the trash.

Now go into the Applications Folder, and find the Icon you are looking for... Double-click to open the application, it will probably go through an initial install, then... you're done, all set.

It sounds like what you were doing is saving the .dmg (a common mistake when just getting stared)

Let us know if this helps or if you have any questions.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Those HD icons will come up every time you open up a .dmg file. They are image files that "mount" to the system as if it were a HD. After you drag the Application image out of that window like RIDE said, you can eject the HD icon by clicking it and dragging it to the trash.

If you put the Application icon into your Applications folder, then you dont' need the .dmg file anymore, and you can eject the image.
QUOTE Thanks
dg.dave

dg.dave is on a distinguished road

Thank you guys for your help, it works perfectly, thank you again
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Enjoy your MacBook! Don't be a stranger
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Hey guys, newbie question now:

If we can move the .dmg file to the trash, how should we do a backup of the installation file for our downloaded applications?

tks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

That's easy. Just don't delete the installation file :black:

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, andrebnu! Glad to have you with us.

I do backups of everything I install on my Mac: I burn either the .dmg or .zip files on a CD or DVD with other stuff and if ever I need to reinstall anything I have it available right here.
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
I do backups of everything I install on my Mac: I burn either the .dmg or .zip files on a CD or DVD with other stuff and if ever I need to reinstall anything I have it available right here.
Tks for your reply, man. As a soon-to-be switcher, thereīs some things that arenīt crystal clear yet.

Letīs say I donīt have the .dmg backed up.

Can I install an application directly from the application folder in another mac?

How should it be done?

tks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You should always use the installer. Right now, you have seen or heard about apps that use .dmg files for the install but others come with their own installers and that makes for more files being installed here and there, some of them hidden.

Another point in favour of using the initial installer is this: say you haven't used a certain app in a while but want to copy it over your other Mac and that app is now a bit wonky or corrupted but you don't know it. You'll be transferring that instability over to another computer. If you use the installer, you get a fresh new app on the other Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transfering files from 10.2.8 to 10.4.9 | my computer refuses to boot up »