improve boot times
    Hi,

i have had my MBP for about 2 weeks now and the boot time has slowed down a bit. I have run idefrag and mac janitor. That helped a little. Is there anything else i can do to make my boot times faster?

Thanks

improve boot times
    use a tool like onyx to clear the clutter. caches and logfiles and such.

the first restart after you do this will take a bit longer, but subsequent restarts should be noticeably faster.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

improve boot times
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    What is your boot time? Macs boot wonderfully fast. Mine goes from cold power on to full desktop in about 35 seconds. I have seen folks post shorter times - mine are a bit longer because I have things like iClock and YouControl Desktops loaded. That slows things down a bit.

So, when you say "slow down"... how slow is slow?
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

improve boot times

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 1GB
    Yeah, what is your boot time exactly? My MacBook from cold start to useable desktop is honestly 19 seconds.

my time is 55 secs

I ran onyx and the full maitnence gets stuck at about half. I ran the rest of the stuff and it got a bit faster 48 secs. The part that is holding me up is from when i press the power button to when the apple logo with the spinning pinwheel comes up. That by itself takes 30 secs

improve boot times

Well, I ran Onyx last night, restarted the computer, shut it down, and went to bed. I just woke up and turned it on, timed it, and it took about 32s from pressing the ON button, to seeing my background, and a total 1 minute, 18s to being able to open a Finder window and open up a folder.

Sure, there were still things loading (I have quite a lot of stuff opening at startup), but I consider being able to maneuver through the file system a "Usable State." And considering any of my Windows machines take at least 2-3 before I can do anything, this is pretty fast. Although, the BIOS of my Windows/Linux box s a lot slower booting, so it's not a good comparison.
    PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Total 750 GB HDD, Windows Vista Business (For gaming), Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (64-bit), Slackware 12 (For GTK# coding)
    Mac: 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, Mini

improve boot times
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by nbehar View Post
    I ran onyx and the full maitnence gets stuck at about half. I ran the rest of the stuff and it got a bit faster 48 secs. The part that is holding me up is from when i press the power button to when the apple logo with the spinning pinwheel comes up. That by itself takes 30 secs
    I doubt it got "stuck"... sometimes it just takes a little while... Run the maintenance again.. it Speeds to about half the bar, then "works" for a while.. leave it be, and surf the web for a bit... The Onyx icon will bounce in the dock when it's finished. Try it.

improve boot times
    Specs:
    MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
    try going into the systemPref stuff, and startup disk.

startup disk. select OSX drive, and reboot. this should fix that issue right up!
    2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt

improve boot times

Did you ever have bootcamp loaded on there, which you have since removed? I had the same problem after I removed bootcamp, which I have since fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by netguy View Post
    Did you ever have bootcamp loaded on there, which you have since removed? I had the same problem after I removed bootcamp, which I have since fixed.
    Yea thats what i did. How did you solve it?

improve boot times
    Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    yh it happend to me as well, i uninstalled bootcamp and since then at startup it seems to get stuck just before the apple logo comes up. how do you fix it....

Thread Information