New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Unstable since format

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Frozen

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 DC 2.0Ghz, 1Gig RAM, nVidia 7800GT 256MB, 20" Apple Cinema Display

Hey guys

Iv had my dc powermac g5 for a bit over a year now, about a year after i got it i decided it needed a format, due to being full of crap and i wanted to add in my wd raptor 36gig hard drive as the main os x drive so i could make use of the extra speed the drive would give (not a huge boost i know but meh, why not lol) anyway everything went fine, my only problem is my system has not been as stable as it used to be. have i done something wrong? this being my first mac then it wouldnt surprise me. and is there anything i can do to help? cheers for any help you can provide.

Fraser
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Can you define what is implied in being "unstable". Need more info before we can help!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Not knowing all the particulars it would be hard to pin point, but i can tell you that i also added a WD Raptor to my G5 and about that time i started having problems too. Kept getting corrupted music files which would lock up the G5. Turned out that the Raptor was going fruit and i had to replace it. Never had the problem after i got rid of that Raptor.

I know... thousands of people are using Raptors with no problems, and i also have used them with no problems, but that particular time the drive was the problem.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Frozen

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 DC 2.0Ghz, 1Gig RAM, nVidia 7800GT 256MB, 20" Apple Cinema Display

yeah sorry, was meaning to add more info but had to run out. bascially a generally unstable system, things kept going wrong. EyeTV for example will no longer quit, if i try closeing the app it will freeze and not even a force quit will fix it, thunderbird will only close through the thunderbird menu and not right clicking the dock image. there have been other problems but im struggleing to remember them at the mo. it just hasnt felt like the almighty super dooper G5 that i bought, if that makes sence. im beginning to think that it is down to the raptor drive, i was just wondering if there may have been any other reasons for it

cheers

fraser
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« lock screen | Restore CD??? »