New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Problem with installing programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ger

Ger is on a distinguished road

Hi, i have a Ibook G4 and i cannot seem to install downloaded programs and other stuff. also my bluetooth doesnt seem to respond when i click the send file or browse device buttons.

if anyone has come across this before can they let me know what the story is

Ger
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Can you please elaborate your problem? What do you mean by "i cannot seem to install downloaded programs and other stuff"?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Yes, we are going to need a little more information on this one.
What exactly are you doing that won't allow you to install something?
What application are you trying to install?
What file type is it, what extension does it have, where did you get it from...etc.?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Could it be that your account doesn't have admin priveledges?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
cad2blender

cad2blender is on a distinguished road

Or could it be that the apps just go away when you restart the laptop? that happened to all the time when I was a newbie...2 months ago.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

make sure your account has admin privelages so that you can install programs

and

make sure your installing them properly and not just launching them from the mount.
QUOTE Thanks
Ger

hey sorry, im talking about things IN GENERAL. when i click something it doesnt launch. also my bluetooth isnt responding. when i click the the send file or browse device button...i get..nothing.

i tried looking in my "more info" in about this mac and its saying i dont have a system profiler?? seems odd to me but this is well out of my knowledge.

basically ANY .DMG is not launching. im getting no responses.

sorry for the vauge inital posts guys. hope you can help.

Ger
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Try dragging the finder pref file to the trash (don't empty the trash right away), restart and see if this works.

Path to file is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your Home Directory -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.finder.plist

If that doesn't work, download MainMenu and clean out all the user caches, deep clean the system, clean font cache. Restart. After emptying the caches, the restart will be longer than usual so don't worry if you notice it is taking a while longer to reboot.

If that doesn't work, create a new user account, log into that new one and use it, see if the problems persist in the new user account.

If not then it means that your usual user account has corrupted data in it. If the problem reproduces in the new account as well, then this means the problem is system-wide.

Report back with your results to these various troubleshooting ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I know this sounds silly, but you do know that you have to double click a .dmg to open it, don't you? Then you have just opened a disk image, and you will see a disk mount on your desktop. Open that and you will see the application inside. Double click to launch it.

If you like the app, you can drag it to you Applications folder, close the .dmg and trash it. From then on, you can launch it by opening your Applications folder and double clicking it there.

If you REALLY like the program, you can drag it onto your Dock, and then a single click there will do the trick to launch it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Ger

mac head case: ill give that ago. the problem is my girlfriends mac, not mine. but ive tried everything i will give it a go and report back. thanks for taking the time to write that bit up.

mac57: yes i am well aware of double clicking and the rest. im not a noob. thanks though
QUOTE Thanks
hillary

hillary is on a distinguished road

hey its my computer we're talking about here...so let me just tell you exactly whats going on.

i don't know how it happened but somehow my system profiler has gone missing. i've done all those things that i was told to do but none of the options have worked. it all started when i tried to download a bluetooth firmware updater. after the download was complete, i opened the disk that it downloaded to the desktop and i noticed that the icon of the file contained inside the disk, entitled BTFWUpdate.1.2.1.pkg, was a little white piece of paper instead of being the little brown box with the yellow square inside of it. when i clicked on it, a dialog box popped up which asked me to choose a program to open the file with. i don't know what's going on.

also, if someone could please help with my bluetooth, i'd greatly appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

So I gather from your post that you have tried everything I posted above and nothing works?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Which OS version are you using? Example: 10.4.3 not Tiger.

Which G4 iBook is it?

I caught this from MacFixIt:

Quote:
This update is not necessary if you were successful in installing Bluetooth Firmware Update version 1.2.
You might have to reinstall the OS if this Apple suggestion doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
hillary

yeah nothing worked.

any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
hillary

im on OSX 10.4.8 and an iBook G4
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I backup my restore DVDs to partition, and install off it, like a DVD | getting a server icon to stick »