New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Can't find Java 1.5.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kadanis

kadanis is on a distinguished road

Hi

New to Mac's and new to these forums, so please bear with me. First off big Hi to you all, well at least anyone who reads this

Over the last week or so I have been using an iMac G4, mostly for testing our product on, although more and more for my day to day work as well (still do development on Linux/Windows at the moment).

I've been trying to run a couple of applications which keep asking for any Java 1.5. the only Java found on this iMac is 1.4.2.

My problem is that I can't seem to find an update to get Java 1.5 for this Mac. Its running OS X 10.3.9 if that's any help

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for reading / answering
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, kadanis.

Either go to your System Preferences and click on Software Update or then again, go to the Apple website, click on the Support tab then on Downloads and you should spot that download in the list as this update was released very recently.

Choose the correct version as there are versions for Tiger and Panther.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The highest Java version you can install under OS X 10.3.9 is what you have now. The only way to update to Java 1.5.x is to upgrade your OS to Tiger 10.4.x.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

There is this update for Panther... Bell is about to ring... Ahhhhhhh...

Java for Mac OS X 10.3 Update 5:

Quote:
About Java for Mac OS X 10.3 Update 5

Java for Mac OS X 10.3, Update 5 adds support for the latest Daylight Saving Time (DST) and time zone information as of January 8, 2007. This release updates Java 1.4.2 to version 1.4.2_12 and addresses a problem where some Java applications fail to launch.
But dunno if this would fix your problem...

See y'all laters!
QUOTE Thanks
kadanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
The highest Java version you can install under OS X 10.3.9 is what you have now. The only way to update to Java 1.5.x is to upgrade your OS to Tiger 10.4.x.
Ah well, thanks for the answers. I think this is the right one, as I have done all the updates I can find and it still says I need Java1.5.x.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Too bad that update didn't solve the problem. It isn't 1.5 but I was hoping it wold help and fool the app into playing anyway. LOL
QUOTE Thanks
kadanis

Yeah, its a shame.

Ok, being a complete novice when it comes to Mac's... is OS X 10.4 just something I can download to patch 10.3.9 or do I have to buy a whole new OS and re-install, or can I just upgrade?

How does it work?

Thanks again for the answers, and the patience
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

You have to buy the OS disks. There are a few ways you can install Tiger: check this Apple Knowledge Base Article for the different types of installations, Mac OS X 10.4: About installation options.

Hope this helps. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
kadanis

Once again, thanks for all the help. Looks like an upgrade may not be far off. Thank god OS X seems to be cheaper than Windows
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Too bad that update didn't solve the problem. It isn't 1.5 but I was hoping it wold help and fool the app into playing anyway. LOL
Email the developer of the app and ask them to recompile it for java 1.4 compatibility, most java ide's can do this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disabling IntelliTXT in Safari | spotlight problem »