Start up programs (But not appearing in accounts)

I'm fairly new to OSX having had my laptop only a month. I've installed some software that I will be using a lot but not all the time. There is a launcher program that allows me to start it and stop it. However, by default it starts on boot up. I want to be able to switch this off so I can start it manually.

The only way I know how to see what's apps are set to start on booting up is to go to accounts >> Login items and select from there. Unfortunately the program doesn't appear in this list.

I have full admin rights to the laptop and have created several accounts. How do I check what is really running on my laptop and disable those apps?

Thank you for your time and help,

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Merlyn.

Can you tell us what that app is? It's hard to see what can be done up to this point...

Sure - no problem. The app is ColdFusion.

St. Somewhere
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Startup Items may also be launching things? I am sure that there is a GUI way of looking at and manipulating these, but I don't know what it is. Anyone?
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Hi Mac57,

I've checked that folder and it doesn't appear to have anything obvious list as ColdFusion.

You might want to check for Macromedia or MX instead as ColdFusion is a Macromedia app. Well was as Adobe bought Macromedia a few months back.

I wonder if, when you have ColdFusion running, you wouldn't be able to set this up in the Preferences and tick the default off... I haven't used ColdFusion ever, mind you, but some apps will have this setting of installing in Startup Items in the Preferences.

I uninstalled it and installed it again. It had an option not to start up automatically. So far ColdFusion runs really well under Mac, I'd recommend anyone trying it.

Thread Information