sufficient privileges?
    I just got my new macbook (2.0ghz, 1gig ram, etc) about a week ago to replace my old desktop and everything has been running smoothly until now. Here's my problem: I bought an external hard drive enclosure so I could keep all my music from my PC and also to use as some extra storage, so I hooked it up and the mac recognized it fine and I can see and run all the files on the hard drive. Problem is I can't delete any of those files, when I try to it says operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges. Also I cannot put any files on the drive.

I've searched all over for a solution and I've found a lot of people on other sites asking similar questions but I haven't found any real solution yet...so any help would be great. Thanks.

The same thing happened to me but with my music folder. It turns out that I had locked it. check the folder options and unlock it.

is the drive formatted NTFS or FAT32?

OS X can read NTFS but cannot write/modify/delete files.

OS X can have full control over files on a drive formatted FAT32 (or FAT16).

if this is the problem, you have a couple options if you want to use it on a mac.
    - reformat the drive FAT32 for the greatest access by all operating systems.
    - format HFS and use a program on windows to access the mac format (the name of the program escapes me at the moment).
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

ya its NTFS. Darn looks like I cant keep my music.

i had a similar issue, luckily i had a couple external drives, between this and the space on my new (at the time) mac, i was able to shuffle things around to get both external drives formatted from NTFS to FAT32.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Thread Information