New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - sufficient privileges?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kglamm

kglamm is on a distinguished road

I just got my new macbook (2.0ghz, 1gig ram, etc) about a week ago to replace my old desktop and everything has been running smoothly until now. Here's my problem: I bought an external hard drive enclosure so I could keep all my music from my PC and also to use as some extra storage, so I hooked it up and the mac recognized it fine and I can see and run all the files on the hard drive. Problem is I can't delete any of those files, when I try to it says operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges. Also I cannot put any files on the drive.

I've searched all over for a solution and I've found a lot of people on other sites asking similar questions but I haven't found any real solution yet...so any help would be great. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

The same thing happened to me but with my music folder. It turns out that I had locked it. check the folder options and unlock it.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

is the drive formatted NTFS or FAT32?

OS X can read NTFS but cannot write/modify/delete files.

OS X can have full control over files on a drive formatted FAT32 (or FAT16).

if this is the problem, you have a couple options if you want to use it on a mac.
- reformat the drive FAT32 for the greatest access by all operating systems.
- format HFS and use a program on windows to access the mac format (the name of the program escapes me at the moment).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
kglamm

kglamm is on a distinguished road

ya its NTFS. Darn looks like I cant keep my music.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i had a similar issue, luckily i had a couple external drives, between this and the space on my new (at the time) mac, i was able to shuffle things around to get both external drives formatted from NTFS to FAT32.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« When browsing through the Applications folder... | Strange Images Appearing in Finder »