New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Buy MB with Tiger now or wait until Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ART

ART is on a distinguished road

Hey All, just had my birthday and want to take the dive and buy a Mac. I really like the new features set to feature in Leopard however, after using my GF's Mac OS 10.4 MB, I know that Tiger isn't exactly lacking in features! My question is this... would you personally buy a MB now or hold fire and buy "in Spring" like Apple seem to have been saying for the last six months!
Has anyone got any idea as to when they think it'll be released? I read a date in March some time, apparently it's exactly 6(?) years to the day since the original OS X was released?

Thanks in advance,

ART
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

I suggest you buy now.. there is a good chance the leopard upgrade will be $130. which in my opinion its not worth waiting.. if it were $400 or something I would suggest you wait untill its on the new mac's.. No one knows when leopard will be out.. there are rumors that it will be out sometime in march but again its just a rumor.. they say it will be out sometime in the first half of 07.. which could be tomorrow or june 30th.

For whatever its worth if you do a search on this topic you will find tons of threads on this topic.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

This needs to be a FAQ. And stickied. And emailed to everyone who registers. And just to be safe, I think schweb should tattoo it on his back ... but that's just me.

Answer for ART: buy the computer when you need it. If you don't need it, wait and buy what fits you best when you do need a new one. If you need a new one now, buy what fits you best now. No one knows for sure whether 10.5 is coming in March or June or August or ??? If you wait until the end of March, whether 10.5 is out or not, there will be something new right around the corner you might want to wait for.

I bought my MBP in late Nov'06 because I needed a notebook; I couldn't wait a few months to see if something better was coming out. On the flipside of that, I plan to buy a Mac Pro later this year but because it's more of a splurge than a need, I can afford to wait out Leopard and the rumored upgrades to the Mac Pro itself.

Either choice is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
This needs to be a FAQ. And stickied. And emailed to everyone who registers.
Everyone is sent an email when they register that advises them to search before posting. Sadly, very few people ever do. Stickies, while a good idea, are more often overlooked and ingnored anyway.

To the OP, I would suggest that you take a look at this thread for more information:

Buy now or wait for Leopard

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Admit it, you agree with the tattoo idea, though ...
QUOTE Thanks
ART

ART is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses (not so much the chastising!). I apologise for not thoroughly searching, admittedly I should've done so. In your opinions, do you think the price of brand new MacBooks will increase when Leopard is released? I don't think it has for Windows (they seem to be the same price on Dell) any similar experiences when Tiger was introduced?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART View Post
Thanks for the responses (not so much the chastising!). I apologise for not thoroughly searching, admittedly I should've done so. In your opinions, do you think the price of brand new MacBooks will increase when Leopard is released? I don't think it has for Windows (they seem to be the same price on Dell) any similar experiences when Tiger was introduced?
I don't think anyone wanted to come across as chastising.. just suggesting a search to save you time.. we are here to help so its no big deal that you did not search first in my opinion. I highly doubt that the price will go up on the Mac's when leopard is out.. If I remember correctly Tiger did not affect the price of the current Mac's.. Good luck.. and welcome to M-F.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Would you fresh install on a new iMac? | missing .tcshrc file »