Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Feb 18, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Question Buy MB with Tiger now or wait until Leopard?
    Hey All, just had my birthday and want to take the dive and buy a Mac. I really like the new features set to feature in Leopard however, after using my GF's Mac OS 10.4 MB, I know that Tiger isn't exactly lacking in features! My question is this... would you personally buy a MB now or hold fire and buy "in Spring" like Apple seem to have been saying for the last six months!
    Has anyone got any idea as to when they think it'll be released? I read a date in March some time, apparently it's exactly 6(?) years to the day since the original OS X was released?

    Thanks in advance,

    ART

  2. #2

    KoDorSean's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 03, 2006
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    2,371
    Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    I suggest you buy now.. there is a good chance the leopard upgrade will be $130. which in my opinion its not worth waiting.. if it were $400 or something I would suggest you wait untill its on the new mac's.. No one knows when leopard will be out.. there are rumors that it will be out sometime in march but again its just a rumor.. they say it will be out sometime in the first half of 07.. which could be tomorrow or june 30th.

    For whatever its worth if you do a search on this topic you will find tons of threads on this topic.

    I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

  3. #3

    ToddG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,071
    This needs to be a FAQ. And stickied. And emailed to everyone who registers. And just to be safe, I think schweb should tattoo it on his back ... but that's just me.

    Answer for ART: buy the computer when you need it. If you don't need it, wait and buy what fits you best when you do need a new one. If you need a new one now, buy what fits you best now. No one knows for sure whether 10.5 is coming in March or June or August or ??? If you wait until the end of March, whether 10.5 is out or not, there will be something new right around the corner you might want to wait for.

    I bought my MBP in late Nov'06 because I needed a notebook; I couldn't wait a few months to see if something better was coming out. On the flipside of that, I plan to buy a Mac Pro later this year but because it's more of a splurge than a need, I can afford to wait out Leopard and the rumored upgrades to the Mac Pro itself.

    Either choice is fine.

  4. #4

    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    This needs to be a FAQ. And stickied. And emailed to everyone who registers.
    Everyone is sent an email when they register that advises them to search before posting. Sadly, very few people ever do. Stickies, while a good idea, are more often overlooked and ingnored anyway.

    To the OP, I would suggest that you take a look at this thread for more information:

    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53998
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  5. #5

    ToddG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,071
    Admit it, you agree with the tattoo idea, though ...

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Feb 18, 2007
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the responses (not so much the chastising!). I apologise for not thoroughly searching, admittedly I should've done so. In your opinions, do you think the price of brand new MacBooks will increase when Leopard is released? I don't think it has for Windows (they seem to be the same price on Dell) any similar experiences when Tiger was introduced?

  7. #7

    KoDorSean's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 03, 2006
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    2,371
    Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ART View Post
    Thanks for the responses (not so much the chastising!). I apologise for not thoroughly searching, admittedly I should've done so. In your opinions, do you think the price of brand new MacBooks will increase when Leopard is released? I don't think it has for Windows (they seem to be the same price on Dell) any similar experiences when Tiger was introduced?
    I don't think anyone wanted to come across as chastising.. just suggesting a search to save you time.. we are here to help so its no big deal that you did not search first in my opinion. I highly doubt that the price will go up on the Mac's when leopard is out.. If I remember correctly Tiger did not affect the price of the current Mac's.. Good luck.. and welcome to M-F.

    I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buy Mac now or wait for Leopard
    By ddrum1458 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
  2. Buy now or wait for Leopard?
    By Gonestarfishing in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 08:53 AM
  3. Purchase Help: Buy now or wait for Leopard
    By brademcee in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
  4. Buy now or wait for Leopard
    By kris182 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 11:24 AM
  5. Tiger now or wait for Leopard?
    By Pigchops in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •