New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Login help...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

psiboy

psiboy is on a distinguished road

Hi there people, got a difficult issue at the mo. I've been working abroad for a year and I've just come back into the UK, got a house to call my own and finally dragged my G5 out of my mothers loft. and this is where I want to cry!

For the life of me I can't remember my login and password. I have all the original OSX install disks, but if I reinstall the OS I will lose the other programs on there (the discs which are in a container sitting next to my mac powerbook) which will take 8 weeks to get to me and I need programs like logic audio to do my work(all I packed was the dongles thinking all would be fine on my return!)

Can I reinstall OSX without removing all the programs? is there any other options. Great site by the way
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Boot up with the 1st DVD and there is a program to reset the password.
QUOTE Thanks
psiboy

psiboy is on a distinguished road

Done that but I can't remember the username I chose either, so it won't let me in.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

1. Boot from DVD.
2. Choose Terminal
3. Type whoami to verify that you are root.
4. Type cat /etc/passwd to see all users on the system- see if you recognize the one you set. If so type passwd USER (where USER is the username that you set)- this will let you set a new password for the user.
5. Write the username & password down, reboot, login and enjoy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopord | Making the crossover to Mac »