New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.0 - How to use Genie thing in Dock?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

I was in class the other day and there was a kid sitting like 5 rows ahead of me who was on his mac..

when i have a couple windows up i notice that when i minimize them they just shrink back into my dock..

however in his case...they kind of like arranged themselves as mini windows floating on his screen..which is much easier to navigate if uve got a couple windws open..

does anyone know what im talking about??
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Thats Expose. What version of OS X are you using? Its only available in Tiger, triggered with keys F9-F12

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Exposé was introduced to the Mac OS with Panther OS X 10.3. You can configure it with your System Preferences.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Thanks DB, I wasn't too sure on that. Its been a while since I've used Panther.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yeah Exposé was introduced in Panther but Tiger's Exposé has more features/kinds of effects.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Yeah Exposé was introduced in Panther but Tiger's Exposé has more features/kinds of effects.
I never thought it had any new or different things from Panther to Tiger, but I could be wrong.
What are the new thingies that weren't in Panther? I wanna find out what they are so I can go and play with them. :black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Behind the scenes stuff was changed. Probably. Even Apple isn't too sure what they changed. Whatever - you have to get 200+ new features somehow!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well in Tiger I get three kinds of Exposé: one that entirely clears the window and gets you to the desktop, one that lets you shuffle through all the open apps' windows and one that highlights the front window and greys out the ones in the background.

In Panther, I don't recall anymore than two Exposé actions. It's kinda hard to remember which ones are the same and which is the new one in Tiger because early on while using Panther I adopted only one, the one that gave me access to the desktop. To me that was all I really needed.

So uhm to really give you a good, precise answer here: I dunno. :^)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

No: Exposé is exactly the same in Tiger & Panther.
All window, all windows of the current app and desktop have always been your 3 options.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Really? Hmm maybe one of my F-keys on my old G4 iMac wasn't available for one of those Panther Exposé actions then.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

thanks for the replies guys..
how exactly do i activate it?

i think i have mac os 10.4.8

is that the tiger???
QUOTE Thanks
ferritt

ferritt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour

my f9 and f10 keys dont seem to do anything? When i press them i just get a icon appear on screen but nothing happens. But if i set espose to run by moving into the top corner it works fines. any ideas?

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
With my lousy typing I was always hitting those F9-12 buttons s so I disabled Exposé. The end.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
thanks for the replies guys..
how exactly do i activate it?

i think i have mac os 10.4.8

is that the tiger???
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferritt View Post
my f9 and f10 keys dont seem to do anything? When i press them i just get a icon appear on screen but nothing happens. But if i set espose to run by moving into the top corner it works fines. any ideas?

cheers
Go to your System Preferences and spot the Dashboard & Exposé icon. Click on it, that'll be where you activate/set it up.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferritt View Post

cheers
Try holding the function key (fn) and then press f9 or f10.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No sound on my Imac G5 | ibook g4 1.2 ghz - still using panther »