New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Mass file renaming

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

federicog

federicog is on a distinguished road

Is there any way to rename all the files in a specific directory (including files in subdirectories) to lowercase?
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Yes there is. I just dont know how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

A Better Finder Rename will rename in batch like you ask. It is limited in it's demo mode but costs $US20.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

You could also use automator to do this if you know how to use it.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

If you are will to work at it a bit, you can use the command line to do this. See:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_...s_at_once.html

The above example provides a small Terminal script that does bulk file renaming, but not the sort that you want. You would need to experiment with the "tr" command which will happily do inline case translations for you, and then work it into the above script. I suspect that it would take an hour or so of fiddling to get it right unfortunately.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i use automator. but i dont know about it renaming different file names.

for example. all my files are named pic-XXXX(insert seq. #s)

if you had files
Picture1.jpg
and Photo1.jpg

im not sure in automator you could tell it not to rename photo to picture, while doing the lowercase. i know u can add numbers to then end, but since u want a case change at the same time, im not sure automator is up to it

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
federicog

Ok, thanks to all of you for your answers.

I'm not sure if I am up to the terminal yet, but I'll check automator and A Better Finder.

Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Here is a screenshot of the options in A Better Finder Rename. You can see the option to Convert to Upper/Lower Case is there.
QUOTE Thanks
federicog

Yeah, A Better Finder Renamer worked like a charm!
VERY versatile!
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by federicog View Post
Yeah, A Better Finder Renamer worked like a charm!
VERY versatile!
Thanks!
OK...wait...it's not over yet! To all those who posted in this thread saying that you could do what federicog was asking - using Automator ... or at least AppleScript, well please read on ......

Start by opening your Applications folder, and then look inside your AppleScript folder. Now double-click on the AppleScript Utility icon, and in the resulting dialog, turn on the Show Script Menu in Menu Bar checkbox. Close the Utility dialog, and then go to the menu bar and click on the Script icon — a list of all sorts of cool automatic functions are now just a click away.

Now to part II:

Click on the applescript icon in the menu bar and scroll down the list to Finder Scripts. Look at the contextual menu that pops out .... in that list are some great options but the one I'm interested in is:

Change Case of Item Names

Now...return to the Desktop and find those files that have a combination of upper/lower case letters in their names and highlight them all.

Return to the AppleScripts icon, scroll down to Finder Scripts - slide into the contextual menu and scroll down to Change Case of Item Names ...

A little window will appear with Change case to:

There are 3 options available: Cancel, UPPER & lower. Make your choice and then the job is finished.

Mac handled the whole process - just like we all knew it could. But it really is that simple!

?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

my experiences with file renaming

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
federicog

The apple script thingie seems really cool, there are lots of things you can do with it. Thanks for the tip!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

No worries federicog ...

QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Note that the DiskOrder file manager also has a bulk renamer that seems to work pretty well. See http://www.likemac.ru/english.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« standard troubleshooting | Syncing a laptop to desktop »