New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Mass number of different problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Silverfroth

Silverfroth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Mac

Please help me!
Or - should I just take this list to my local warrenty guy and have him fix it?

Problem #1:

Almost all programs crash during use at some point. Sometimes not at all - but usually a good crash or lockup during every 1hr of use is typical.

Problem #2:

Random Characters pop up in all programs during use - when mainly using the keyboard, often the symbol " | " comes up in line with my text I'm typing.
Or - in graphics programs that are heavy on the mouse: 'mouse trails' tend to 'stick' or linger where I've been - or, in some cases - the entire object I'm trying to manipulate leaves a trail.
(I am using a wireless set by Kinsington. However, due to obnoxioius and amazing battery drainage in the mouse - I started using a simple travel-mouse plugged into a usb hub.
However - these tracking and such problems staretd happening before I started using the trackmouse - and sometime after I bought the k/m set.)

Problem #3:
I have downloaded a number of programs to aid in my website designing...each of these have a particular problem that renders them annoying in their own way.
*Gimp: text box does not function properly - and text is the main reason why I want to use i.
*Image Tricks (paid for) muddles all files related to the current pieces I'm working on (all file variations) when I use the 'Shaded Materials function' - if I click 'apply'
*Seashore - text lags and locks up, disapears, etc etc...this was suppose to be my alternative to the 'gimp' text issue.
*Sketup - by Google - the mouse or image I'm manipulating 'trails' a was mentioned in problem #2.
And some other programs (some paid for, some free) have similar problems.

Problem #4:
Finder window has unusable, undeletable files. (How do I get rid of them?)
Some time ago I was rearranging files - and for easy access I place a few of those main files into the sidebar. I addicentally deleted those files in their actual location - leaving the side-bar file 'stuck'

If anyone can help me out with any of these I'd really appreciate it
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

G'day Silverfroth,

WOW ... !! Are you having some issues ... first off, I would think that creating a new user account and testing whether these bugs still persist in a new account, is the first step here.

In the meantime I would remove these two plist files:

YourUserAccount>Library>Preferences>com.apple.find er.plist
YourUserAccount>Library>Preferences>com.apple.side barlists.plist

Most of these issues might be resolved in one step ... that's my hope anyway... there could be a link between them and it may be a simple fix or a trip to the AppleStore ... but let's see ....
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

::edit::
QUOTE Thanks
Silverfroth

So simple! I thought it wouldn't work, but, yes indeed - opening a different user account seems to have taken care of most of these problems - the program functioning ones, dont' know yet about the crashing issue.

However - in the original account, even after removing those files, those stuck folders are still there.
HMMM.

Well - I think I'll just transfer everyhting over to the other account and delete the one that's plagued.

Thank you so much
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Silverfroth, do you use a maintenance program like OnyX or MacJanitor? It is worth downloading such an app to use to keep your Mac in tip-top shape.
QUOTE Thanks
Silverfroth

I have Onyx on my computer - I don't use it, though, suppose I should. Afterall, I downloaded it at one point after reading about it and thought it would be a good idea.

The addiction of downloading programs - it's so quick and simple as opposed to Win.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

I use OnyX only to clean caches and repair permissions and optiomise the system etc. I don't go where I feel I'm out of my depth. I only use the Cleaning & Maintenance sections and leave the rest well alone.

OnyX has a feature which rebuilds the Finder SideBar, I would see if this frees up those stubborn stuck items in your SideBar.
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

i like mainmenu and applejack,

apple jack i think does the best job.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
Silverfroth

I tried applejack - but I think the download source is glitched, I keep having the same problems while installing.

I'm using Onyx - ran it through afew things, it fixed the sidebar by simply resetting it (duh) and my system's running a bit smother, too - so that's good.

I really think it's taken care of most of my problems - so far I haven't had any crashes, and I've been working on my website for a few hours - normally I would have had to restart it a few times by now.
So hopefully that did it

Thanks, and this kind of easy-to-handle troubleshooting and support system is one the reasons why I switched.
Try finding a forum with knowledgable people dedicated to windows with valuable advice. LOL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing Icons from the Menu bar | Installing from HD disk image... »