New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Gray Screen of Death

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wwombach

wwombach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video

Okay I've had my MBP for about 2 months now and it recently started crashing frequently. Its crashed twice in the last two hours. I have only been using it for surfing the web and a little word processing. It keeps doing that thing where the whole screen darks and asks me to restart. Whats going on with this I hoped switching from Windows to OSX would end all my crashing issues. I'm starting to think this computer has more issues than my old pc. What gives???
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

There is no such thing as a "screen of death"...apparently that is something that happens in the windows world.

I've never experienced what you're talking about. Personally I'd make an appointment at the "Genius Bar" at your local Apple store ad have them take you through the paces or at a minimum show them your problem and go from there. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

First off, ALL computers and ALL operating systems crash from time to time. No operating system is going to end that reality for you. :black:

On to the matter at hand, it sounds as if you are experiencing a kernel panic. The reasons for this are varied and sometimes difficult to pinpoint. I would suggest taking a look at this article on the Apple Support Site and seeing if you can track down the culprit:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25392

This article will help you resolve some of the issues as well:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

I know exactly what you're talking about, it's called a Kernel Panic and it's the Mac equivalent of the BSoD.

My MBP has experienced about half a dozen of them in two and a half months. If it happens a couple more times, I'll probably break down and bring the computer to the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about, it's called a Kernel Panic and it's the Mac equivalent of the BSoD.

My MBP has experienced about half a dozen of them in two and a half months. If it happens a couple more times, I'll probably break down and bring the computer to the Apple Store.
You should take your mbp to the genius bar soon, I would never settle for any amount of kernel panics other then 1 in a few week period of time. There could be something wrong.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
wwombach

wwombach is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 30 GB iPod Video

You guys are correct. I checked out the apple site about Kernel Panic and thats exactly what it is. Thanks for your help. I was beginning to get a little uneasy about it.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

PBG4 -- You're absolutely correct and that would be the wisest thing I could do. So far, the only crashes have been while running MSIE (specifically, an ActiveX mail program) in Parallels while simultaneously running Safari. I have also done those things simultaneously without crashing, but my guess it that ActiveX is the culprit on some level.

I guess I'm just so skeptical after all those years of Dell/MS "support," my expectations are really very low. I'm not interested in hearing that my Speck case or Marware pad have given me a virus and the solution is to wipe my drive and start all over. :p
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
PBG4 -- You're absolutely correct and that would be the wisest thing I could do. So far, the only crashes have been while running MSIE (specifically, an ActiveX mail program) in Parallels while simultaneously running Safari. I have also done those things simultaneously without crashing, but my guess it that ActiveX is the culprit on some level.

I guess I'm just so skeptical after all those years of Dell/MS "support," my expectations are really very low. I'm not interested in hearing that my Speck case or Marware pad have given me a virus and the solution is to wipe my drive and start all over. :p
See Todd, in the end, it's ALWAYS M$'s fault.

Should have known.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If I'm not mistaken, the crash log might give you info on what caused the crash. But sometimes the message is so bloody cryptic it's really hard to tell what happened.

Might be RAM that has gone bad. That is my only experience with kernel panics, btw: RAM installed by the Mac reseller where I bought my ol' iMac G4 went bad on me and it went from kernel panic to kernel panic. At first, I didn't know what the heck was going on. I brought it back to the store, they changed the RAM but I still had to reinstall the OS (10.2.x Jaguar at the time) as it was so messed up with all the crashes, I couldn't salvage anything from the system.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Residual unwanted country settings (esp. Firefox) | Opening new applications/folders... »