Icons won't stay put
    Hello,

Whenever I Restart the icons on my desktop are arranged differently than how I wanted them. Is there a way to prevent this? I searched for "arrange icons" and didn't find anything helpful. I'm hoping you guys might know more about this.

MacHeadCase
    You need to set your icons in a certain order. The way i have set them up, they only move one notch down to let a mounted drive appear. When I unmount the drive, they go back to their previous position.

To do this, click once on the desktop (you are now in Finder) and in the menubar, under view choose Show View Options (or just type Command/Apple key + J) and in the Show View Options you can now select an order in which your icons will stay arranged.

Attached below is a screenshot of how I set mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by mattf87 View Post
    Hello,

Whenever I Restart the icons on my desktop are arranged differently than how I wanted them. Is there a way to prevent this? I searched for "arrange icons" and didn't find anything helpful. I'm hoping you guys might know more about this.
    I have a feeling, that even with 'snap to grid' off, your HD (at least) will pop back to its default position upon restarting.

Could you post a screen of how you set your icons? Just a desktop screen shot would do.

Also, I've found some apps like to mess with icon arrangement. Age of Empires II for example - after I quit, I find some icons overlap, and are out of place. Is there any app you use that might cause that too? I wonder if startup apps could possibly cause that?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    I take it your talking about the icons for drives. I had the same problem when i installed 4 drives and had them partitioned into about 7 partitions like Archives and Archives2, Music and Music2. Everytime i would shut down then when i rebooted they would be in different places.

What fixes it is if you right click on the icon and make an Alias. Then take the original icons off the desktop and arange the alias's in the order you want them. Shut down and boot up again. They should now be in the order that you want them and will stay that way. At least it worked for me...
    Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - Quad Core - 16 Gigs Ram - 10.11.2 - 30" Apple Monitor
    iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownley1 View Post
    Also, I've found some apps like to mess with icon arrangement. Age of Empires II for example - after I quit, I find some icons overlap, and are out of place. Is there any app you use that might cause that too? I wonder if startup apps could possibly cause that?
    This happens when you run the game in a different resolution than what you normally use. It scrunches everything together. Some games will correct it when you quit, others don't.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Thread Information