Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Opening new applications/folders... (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/53184-opening-new-applications-folders.html)

MonteGss 02-09-2007 12:10 AM

Opening new applications/folders...

I have tried searching for this in various ways on the forum but cannot seem to find an appropriate thread...
I've been a Mac user for over two years (iBook g4). My wife and I bought a Macbook for her a couple weeks ago. Everything is going fantastic (of course) and we couldn't be happier. However, there is one tiny little difference I have seen with everyday usage of her machine compared to mine (besides being superior in every way). Every time I open a new application, say from the Dock, that application opens up behind any others that I have opened. If I have nothing else open, "Finder" remains open/active while the new app, say Safari remains dim/inactive. Am I explaining this well? This is really bugging me that I cannot think of how to change this...I'm sure it is very simple but I just can't get it. I am no novice Mac user, I'm just drawing a blank. Is this perhaps how a Macbook is supposed to be?

Lost and feeling a little silly....
Thanks!

MacHeadCase 02-09-2007 06:52 AM

Wow, MonteGss. You're the second member to post about this annoyance and we never could find a real solution, I don't think. The other thread was started maybe a a month, a month and a half ago. I'm not sure but I think someone mentioned QuickSilver to make windows active?

This is where writing a good title for a thread that represents what the thread is all about kicks in: a HELP ME! MY MAC IS SICK! HELP ME! PLEASE! doesn't help at all in the searches or isn't descriptive so others can know at a glance what the thread is all about. And no way can we read every single thread posted in here. Ack! :D

MonteGss 02-09-2007 10:08 AM

Well, at least I know I'm not alone. :)
You're quite right about a descriptive title; I must have read about fifty threads in search of an answer before I posted.
Thank you for your response regardless.

MacHeadCase 02-10-2007 09:58 AM

I dunno if this would work... How about dragging to the trash your Finder pref file? The path is this:

Macintosh HD ---> Users ---> Your Home directory ---> Library ---> Preferences ---> com.apple.finder.plist

See if this would work and let us know how this goes.

MacHeadCase 02-10-2007 01:19 PM

I stumbled upon this Wikibooks entry, Mac OS X Tiger/Appendix A. You might find some keyboard shortcuts interesting in that list. Namely:

Quote:

Hide Current Application - "Command-H"
Hide All Other Applications - "Command-Shift-H"
Minimize All Windows in Current Application to Dock - "Command-Option-M"
Bring Next Window in Current Application to Front - "Command-`"
Bring Previous Window in Current Application to Front - "Command-Shift-`"
Maybe a combination of those, along with the Command (or Apple key) + Tab keys to switch apps... I dunno.

Also not a direct answer to your problem but nonetheless interesting I find is Peter Maurer's Witch.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea of what to do here though.

MonteGss 02-12-2007 08:27 AM

Hello again...

I tried deleting the Finder preference file....no luck. Thanks again for trying to help me out.