New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook - Kernel Panic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

danton

danton is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I've got a Powerbook G4 running Tiger which has died after the battery ran out while it was hibernating. When I try and boot the machine now it never gets past the first screen before the kernel panic message appears. I am also unable to boot from the DVD drive, or from a firewire drive. I can, however, boot it up in firewire mode and access the hard drive from another mac.

I tried the following solutions while connected from another Mac: fixed the hard disk and file permissions; rebuilt the hard disk using Diskwarrior and then did an archive and restore of the Operating system. None of these resolved the issue.

I have come to the conclusion that his must be a problem with the firmware on the machine that controls the boot process or something along these lines. Is there any way I can replace the firmware, or tackle this issue while connected from another machine in firewire mode?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hi danton and welcome to Mac-Forums.

Can you run the Hardware Test in Extended Mode on your PowerBook while it is in Target Disk Mode? Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do right now. Sounds a lot like a hardware problem but maybe the system is very corrupted too. Maybe you could try a reinstall from the other Mac in Target Disk Mode. But that's about all you could do at this point, I'm afraid, apart from taking it in for repairs.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Try taking out the battery overnight, plug it back in and plug it into the mains. You could also try resetting the power management system by following the information at this link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Also reset the pram as follows:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
QUOTE Thanks
danton

danton is on a distinguished road

MacHeadCase: I was able to run the hardware test directly from the OS X disk in the Powerbook and it found no hardware problems. The issue seems to be limited to the boot process itself. The kernel panic appears only after I try to boot the machine from any medium (hard disk, external DVD, or firewire drive). I am able to log into the OS while it is in target disk mode, but can never boot the machine itself in anything other than target disk mode.

Mr Bobbins: I'll take a look at the power management system in order to see if that makes any difference, although I have reset the pram more than once since this issue first raised its ugly head...
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I hope something from those links works for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Please! Need to do a batch find and replace on a directory full of html files | FileVault problem... »