New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Backup Software Recomendations

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Evil Monkfish

Evil Monkfish is on a distinguished road

Hi to everyone,
I have just brought a External Drive for my iMac and was wondering what was the best software to use to backup everything on my iMac (iTunes, iMovies, etc...) I have Backup 2 from when i had a .mac account.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Try SupeDuper
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
Ditto on that recommendation. SuperDuper makes a carbon-copy of your hard disk which is also bootable. In the event you lose your hard disk, you can even boot from your external drive to get up and running quickly. It's fast, user-friendly and the full version is pretty reasonable at $30 (of course the free version does what most of the average user needs). You can even set SuperDuper to work with so-called "one touch" features on external hard drives.
QUOTE Thanks
Evil Monkfish

Evil Monkfish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, think i'll get a copy of that then.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

SuperDuper! here too! :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
chiffonhead

chiffonhead is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro

would SuperDuper work if I just want to back up my music, photos, movies and documents?

I'm fairly new to backing up to an XHD. I just got a Maxton 80GB XHD and want to backup my iTunes, iPhoto, movies and documents folders. would it be better to use SuperDuper to do all this or can I just copy the folders I want to back up and paste the folder into/onto the XHD.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I don't think any special purpose software is needed. I have always done backups the "cheap and cheerful" way. It is even easier with Macs than it was on my PC.

I get an external hard drive. To back up, I plug it in, turn it on and then create a new folder in its root called todays_date_backup. Then I simply use Finder (or PathFinder in my case) to drag my home folder into my newly created backup folder. This copies ALL of my personal data. It does not create a full blown image of my current disk, but I tend to view the system setup as transient. It is my personal stuff (music, photos, files, etc.) that I want to keep.

To make this really useful, I use a system of two hard drives, which I rotate between work and home. Each time I do a backup, I take the hard drive with the fresh backup to work and exchange it with the one there. That way, I always have two full backups at two different locations. Hence, even if some terrible disaster should befall my house (tornado, flood, fire, whatever), I still have a full backup "off site".

Note that no incremental backup software is involved or needed. Hard drives are so big and so fast these days that this works great and it is so simple. It has always been my philosophy that in order to be done regularly, backing up must be easy. Apple clearly agrees with me - I think that this is the whole premise behind Time Machine (... a FAR more elegant solution than what I do of course!).

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonhead View Post
would SuperDuper work if I just want to back up my music, photos, movies and documents?

I'm fairly new to backing up to an XHD. I just got a Maxton 80GB XHD and want to backup my iTunes, iPhoto, movies and documents folders. would it be better to use SuperDuper to do all this or can I just copy the folders I want to back up and paste the folder into/onto the XHD.
SuperDuper is geared towards backing up an entire drive. I'm sure there's another solution out there for doing more specific backups.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

BackityMac

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Another recommendation for SuperDuper.

It's nice to know you could work off your external drive for a while in a pinch if your internal failed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help with new themes... | Deleting drivers in terminal »