New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Can I put a password on certain folders?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

I want my school folders to ask for a password when I open them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Moving thread. Not a hardware issue.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo15 View Post
I want my school folders to ask for a password when I open them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
G'day kilo15.

This can be achieved with or without 3rd party apps. If you want to go with what's already on your Mac, then Disc Utility is worth a look.

Open up the "Disc Utility" application

File>New>Disk Image from Folder...

Choose a folder to protect, then choose "AES-128" encryption and press Save.

Enter your newly created password twice.

What this process actually does is creates a disk image file (.dmg). The disk image contains the entire contents of the folder, but only you can open it with your password.

To access your school folder, just double-click the .dmg file in Finder. Then in the text box that appears enter your password and the dmg will be mounted as an image and you can see the contents of your school folder.

If you want to give a 3rd Party app a go, then you could try eyeHide (click link)
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
Open up the "Disk Utility" application
File>New>Disk Image from Folder...
Choose a folder to protect, then choose "AES-128" encryption and press Save.
Enter your newly created password twice.
Excellent info Pulse-8 - I'm glad to know this myself.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

lol...it's too much for my brain, this disC/K business....

Macs have a blahzillion little jobs that they can do ... but I just only wan't to do a little of what my Mac is truely capable of....like password protecting a folder...I can see the benefits, but I just don't need to do it ... I must only use like 10% of this amazing machines capabilities!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

nice Pulse-8!
thread subscribed! might even dump this in the switcher f.a.q. under advanced stuff.

still can't give you rep - i'll have to try later!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

lol...cheers eric!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

added!

Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
What this process actually does is creates a disk image file (.dmg). The disk image contains the entire contents of the folder, but only you can open it with your password.
repified
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Using a password-protected disk is like leaving your front door unlocked because you have a jewelry safe. You might protect a few things, but anyone who wants to can still cause a lot of trouble for you.

The correct way to protect your stuff is to Log out of your account.
QUOTE Thanks
teapea

teapea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 13" macbook pro, 4gb ram

to protect your whole system yes, but a lot of people just want one folder protecting . .
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

Thanks for the information.
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
The correct way to protect your stuff is to Log out of your account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapea View Post
to protect your whole system yes, but a lot of people just want one folder protecting . .
Yes, but logging out isn't foolproof either. If you are really concerned with sensitive data, then you should use file vault (security under system prefs) to protect your entire user folder, or the encrypted disk image method suggested before.

Logging out or locking your screen is always a good idea, however if someone really wanted access to your data, they could simply boot your computer off the installer DVD (or into single-user mode) and open up your home folder.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

How about eyeHide? I haven't tried it though... Or safeThis from the same dev?
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

I just tried it and it worked wonderful. At first it didn't ask for the password but I then realized that the password was on the keychain. I only need the encryption for my friends and family. I let them use my mac for curiosity. I just don't want to loose my school notes because of my generosity. I am not worried about being hacked or anything. I don't have trade secrets on this machine anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC OSX and Windows NT external drive | Will Leopard be an easy upgrade? »