New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Newbie to MAC.. I got it today did the system update and.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rookies

rookies is on a distinguished road

OK I am newbie to Mac and got myself a new Macbook with happiness till this....

I got it up set it up and was great. Did the apple update and dont know why the screen went all funny. The colour was like only display about 4 colours.. I do see the display like the lancher etc but it like the colour setting been set to display 4 colours and it not display in millions. I have check the Setting and it is set at millions but it not display correct. If i set it to 256 it does display alot better and prob does what it should for 256 but the million setting is display about 4 colours. What gone wrong... before i did the apple update all was great
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Did you restart after the update?

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
rookies

Yes restart and all still funny am mad though Apple were meant to beat the windows......

A simple update mess up something for sure... I just cant get the screen setting back to normal.

Strange thing is when it boots up and while it booting it ok but once it booted the screen go back to 4 colour format know what imean the images are there ubt display is VERY VERY LESS colour...
QUOTE Thanks
rookies

On window XP there is a option to restore to last best working point is there a option on OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Restart the machine and hold down the Apple key and the S key until text flows down the screen. Where the cursor is at the bottom, type fsck -fy, including the space, and hit the return key. This runs the Mac's built-in Disk Utility that might find and repair a system problem.

After it finishes, type exit or reboot, and hit return. The machine will reboot normally.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Given your description, it seems this is a user-specific problem and not a system-wide one, so you shouldn't need to do something nearly so intimidating as the last suggestion if I'm correct on this. I would delete the folder ~/Library/Preferences and then restart the computer.

That will reset your personal preferences to the default for all apps and stuff, including OS X. Hopefully this will get your screen settings back to where they should be.

Note: Clicking "Go" in the Finder menu bar and clicking "Go to folder," then typing in ~/Library/ should take you to the folder the Preferences folder is inside. Alternatively, you can navigate with the Finder windows by clicking on Home, going inside the Library folder, and looking for the Preferences folder inside there to delete. Try this and tell us if it works.

That said, after every system update you should spotlight "Disk Utility" and run "Repair Permissions" on your hard drive, as a precaution.
QUOTE Thanks
_nelsonc

_nelsonc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
Given your description, it seems this is a user-specific problem and not a system-wide one, so you shouldn't need to do something nearly so intimidating as the last suggestion if I'm correct on this. I would delete the folder ~/Library/Preferences and then restart the computer.

That will reset your personal preferences to the default for all apps and stuff, including OS X. Hopefully this will get your screen settings back to where they should be.

Note: Clicking "Go" in the Finder menu bar and clicking "Go to folder," then typing in ~/Library/ should take you to the folder the Preferences folder is inside. Alternatively, you can navigate with the Finder windows by clicking on Home, going inside the Library folder, and looking for the Preferences folder inside there to delete. Try this and tell us if it works.

That said, after every system update you should spotlight "Disk Utility" and run "Repair Permissions" on your hard drive, as a precaution.

I had the same thing happen to me after the latest firmware update. I think it was after the first time I booted into Windows and then restarted. It seemed like a bit was stuck on the graphics card or something. Nothing would fix it and it was consistent between Mac OS and Windows, I did the 4 finger salute at boot up to reset PRAM and everything cleared back up for me.

Here's a link to how to do it from Apple:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A Mac to Windows Backup Solution | Printing from ANY application causes the app to quit »