New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - OS X and .exe????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

What is this (image below).... I right-clicked a picture on my desktop, then clicked "open with"... and found quite a few ".exe" files as choices... I clicked one, but nothing happened... why are these showing up in OS X????

TIA

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I have those too and these Contextual Menu Items came when I installed Adobe Creative Suite 2.

Dummy Adobe couldn't even program the darn install in a way the Mac stuff would go with the Mac install and the Windows stuff would go with the Windows install... :blind:
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
What is this (image below).... I right-clicked a picture on my desktop, then clicked "open with"... and found quite a few ".exe" files as choices... I clicked one, but nothing happened... why are these showing up in OS X????

TIA

Poor quality control on the part of HP - nothing unusual for them (in my experience).

.exe files are executables on other platforms. Mac OS doesn't run them natively.
QUOTE Thanks
CrossBones

CrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of lightCrossBones is a glorious beacon of light

Whenever I see an .exe file I throw my laptop against a wall. Usually fixes it.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

I have trouble with .dmg and .exe files from Limewire. I don't even know what .sit is but they don't work either.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Files with the .sit extension is a compressed file that Stuffit Expander will uncompress.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserofMacOSX View Post
I have trouble with .dmg and .exe files from Limewire. I don't even know what .sit is but they don't work either.
...and to add to what MacHeadCase said, DMG files should be automatically mounted as virtual disks when you double-click on them. If not, you might need to check on the integrity of the file using the Disk Utility. Use the File -> Check Disk Image function.

Aside from that, remember that Limewire is a means for sharing data between other "peers" - that is, you are downloading from other individuals, just like you. So, they may be unwittingly serving out corrupted files. Anyway, consider the source and don't be surprised if you get a bunch of garbage now and then. It's likely not a problem specific to your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Those .exe files are specific to Adobe, yes they have a windows executable extension but it's really a file that Photoshop reads.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossBones View Post
Whenever I see an .exe file I throw my laptop against a wall. Usually fixes it.
ROTFL

CB, you're a hoot!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamindaines View Post
Those .exe files are specific to Adobe, yes they have a windows executable extension but it's really a file that Photoshop reads.
So what you're saying Ben is that we could run on our Macs those Adobe scripts? I didn't know that!... I'll be darned!
QUOTE Thanks
MESHUGGAH_7

MESHUGGAH_7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Files with the .sit extension is a compressed file that Stuffit Expander will uncompress.
thanks for the stuffit tip!

i've been trying to dnld custom icons but they're all in .sit format. thanks to your help i can now open them and use them

props dude
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

.exe files are Windows executable files. They're gibberish to OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESHUGGAH_7 View Post
thanks for the stuffit tip!

i've been trying to dnld custom icons but they're all in .sit format. thanks to your help i can now open them and use them

props dude
No prob! :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

God this thread is so out of hand....

Yes those are scripts for Adobe, it's basically nothing but a set of pre-set actions for Photoshop. Nothing scary or Non-Mac. Why don't yo just try running one of them you'll see.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Urgent- Powerbook has gone completely crazy | How do I change a folder icon? »