New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - General slowness and cursor problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aplardi

aplardi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Intel Core Duo

I'm having a few quirks with my Mac the past few weeks. My system feels slower in general. I still don't know much about which processes should and should not be running so I figured I would show this to you guys for some help.

The most annoying problem outside of slowness is that the cursor gets stuck as a beach ball (not spinning) sometimes after switching users, and doesn't switch back to a regular cursor until it hovers over something that would change it. For example, the separator in the dock or a link on a web page.

(there is a dupe or two in these, because things changed, but just one or two)

Thanks in Advanced,
-Andrew

PS: The slowness is mostly in the morning for the first few min of use after it not being used. It wasn't that bad before, also I ran all Mac Janitor tasks, repaired permissions, restarted, launched nothing, and took these shots.

-Andrew Philip Lardi
maccast.flickr.blog
QUOTE Thanks
bokeym

bokeym is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD

There doesn't seem to be anything running that shouldn't be. Follow the tasks below to try and help with the "slowness"

Force running the maintenance scripts on your pc...this always helps me
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388

If your desktop is cluttered with short cuts, icons, progs, etc. get rid of them. For some reason if you have clutter all over the place on your desktop it slows the computer down. So just move stuff in the correct folders or in a location other then the desktop.

If it seems that your Safari is running slow, reset that. It clears all of its caches etc.

Also repairing disk permissions seems to help to.

If you don't know how to do any of this, most of this know how can be found here:
The Notebook "Instant Fixes" Thread
QUOTE Thanks
aplardi

aplardi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Intel Core Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokeym View Post
There doesn't seem to be anything running that shouldn't be. Follow the tasks below to try and help with the "slowness"

Force running the maintenance scripts on your pc...this always helps me
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388

If your desktop is cluttered with short cuts, icons, progs, etc. get rid of them. For some reason if you have clutter all over the place on your desktop it slows the computer down. So just move stuff in the correct folders or in a location other then the desktop.

If it seems that your Safari is running slow, reset that. It clears all of its caches etc.

Also repairing disk permissions seems to help to.

If you don't know how to do any of this, most of this know how can be found here:
The Notebook "Instant Fixes" Thread
Yeah I did all that before I even bothered to ask. Thanks though.

-Andrew Philip Lardi
maccast.flickr.blog
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

dont know if this matters, but I was told that sometimes background pictures and designs slow down your comp. The computer uses memory to "redraw" the background picture every time you open, close, move or resize a window. The window doesn't just "cover" up a stable background pic. It has to redraw it constantly. On my old ibook, I took the background picture off and put just a simple black screen in the background and saw a noticeable difference.
QUOTE Thanks
bokeym

bokeym is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD

...that is a good point but he has a duo core setup with at least 512MB RAM so I don't think re-drawing the desktop all of the time would cause his computer to do what it is doing.

I figure I'd throw out the basic things that many overlook so I figure I'd just cover everything lol. Did this slowness etc. start happening recently? Was it intermittent before now it is all the time? Did it happen after you installed an app? What other troubleshoooting steps have you taken to resolve the issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

What are all those Openbase PPC processes?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How can I startup with the install disk? | Clarification on OS X RAM usage »