New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - What is X11?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jprez1980

jprez1980 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo

Hi All,

I'm a new Mac Owner, I managed to already bungle up the OS (part of the learning process I suppose). Upon reinstall using the Apple provided DVDs I notice that the option for X11 is unchecked by default, I have no idea what this does, do you? --Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

THIS should help you out.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

X11 is a graphical environment that is widely in use in the Unix and Linux worlds and has been for many, many years. A great majority of the open source Linux programs available out there, such as GIMP, use X11 as their interface to the graphical environment as a result. Since Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, a unix variant, it also supports X11, and includes it on the install disks.

You don't need X11 unless you want to run open source software on your Mac, such as GIMP or such things as the excellent gnumeric spreadsheet.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
the_macpanther

the_macpanther is on a distinguished road

How do I enable x11, i'm trying to install open office, but x11's newest download is Outdated by a newer version detected on my mac, but where is it? and where is it.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill_Gates

Bill_Gates has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_macpanther View Post
How do I enable x11, i'm trying to install open office, but x11's newest download is Outdated by a newer version detected on my mac, but where is it? and where is it
Most likely you need to install the x11 app from your install dvd. Here is the process I used (note I am using a Tiger install DVD, not a recovery disc set... it should be included with the restore cds too... I am just not 100% positive if it's in the same spot)

Anyways, the process I used from my Tiger DVD...

After the DVD is mounted in OS X navigate the disc in finder... when you scroll down you see the "optional installs" icon. Click on that. From here it's pretty much a breeze... when you get to installation type x11 is at the bottom of the applications list (click the arrow to reveal all the optional install applications). Install x11.

It should now run automatically when you use a program that requires it.

You can check in Applications -> Utilities to see if it's installed.

I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprez1980 View Post
Hi All,

I'm a new Mac Owner, I managed to already bungle up the OS (part of the learning process I suppose). Upon reinstall using the Apple provided DVDs I notice that the option for X11 is unchecked by default, I have no idea what this does, do you? --Thanks
I think the other posters have answered your question - but I wanted to add this comment. Mac OS is not Windows. Reinstalling the OS is usually not necessary. I'm curious to understand what exactly happened.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Operating System OS X | Original packaged applications in tiger »