New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Is my HD REALLY full? (also posted on hardware/ibook forum)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newbie 1961

newbie 1961 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I have been the proud and happy owner of an ibook G4 running OSX 10.4.8 for a year now with no insurmountable problems that I couldn't work out for myself...until now. (Previously I had a PC; running XP from version 1...boy, THAT was fun!...and am still unfamiliar with where to find "things" on my Mac, although Spotlight is a Godsend.)
On attempting to copy a DVD using both Roxio Toast 7 Platinum and Roxio Popcorn, I was given the following message:
" there is not enough temporary disk space for compression. please delete unused files or select a different disk in the preferences."
Compression is set to "none"
I went to disk utility and checked the disk (Macintosh HD and FUJITSU MHV2060AT) to find the following information:
Capacity: 55.8 GB
Available: 3.5 GB (!!!)
Used: 52.3 GB
Number of files: 326,224
Number of folders: 80, 639

This surprised me by no small amount...about 35 GB worth of surprise!

I have Verified Disk (both "55.9 GB FUJITSU MHV2060AT" and "Macintosh HD" in Disk Utility under First Aid tab and verified permissions (although I have no idea what that means, but equally, I'm sure I don't need to).
55.9 GB FUJITSU passed both Verify Disk and Permissions.
Macintosh HD passed Verify Disk, but shows "The privilages have been verified or repaired onthe selected volume" after Verify Permissions.
On scrolling through the wimdow, I see what appears to be the full list of OSX out the box Applications, with the start of each line reading "Users differ on./Applications/***. should be 0, owner is 501"
Finally, there are a hanful of widgets where pernissions differ: should be "-rw-rw-r--" and they are "-rw-r--r--"
Permissions differ on /Library: should be "drwxrwxr-t" and are "drwxrw-x"
Group differs on /private/etc/authorisation/: should be 80 is 0
Permissions differ on /private/var/log/secure.log/ : should e "-rw-------" and are "-rw-r-----"

Predominantly I use my ibook for storing and editing photos and as a rather oversized ipod. Currently I have 16 GB of music in iTunes. I just put all my pics on disc, so iPhoto is now empty. The only other items are my Applications (photoshop being about the largest).

This may or may not be relevant:

I have been using "Miglia TV Mini eye tv for Mac" recently to record a series of programs from the tv. Each program was 30 mins in duration and after somewhere between 4 and 6 hours (saved to "movies") I received a similar message. I burned all the programmes to dvd, and deleted from HD: problem solved. (the movies folder is now empty also)

Is it possible that my temporary files are not being cleared on restart?
Where do I fimd my temporary files? (I feel as if I have looked everywhere I can without the use of a screwdriver!)
Any Ideas?

Apologies for the rather long-winded question bit I am simply trying to give you as much relevant and probably irrelevant information to work with.

Many thanks for your time taken to read this.

Regards,

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Try searching with Spotlight for specific types of file. If you search for kind:movies for example, you should be able to spot large file sizes.

Here are the search options for Spotlight:

Applications

kind:application
kind:applications
kind:app

Contacts

kind:contact
kind:contacts

Folders

kind:folder
kind:folders

Email