New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

.BIN file won't open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andyholmes1

Hey y'all- quick question:

I've downloaded a fairly large application file that has the extension .bin... the problem is, it won't open. My G5 tries using stuffit expander, then declares that it must not be compressed and does nothing more with the file. In case the extension might have been changed, I've tried changing the .bin to .sit and .zip, but neither of those work either (what extensions am I forgetting to try?).

Does anyone know of a way to get at the contents of this file? There must be some way, as it's a pretty popular file for swapping. (Incedently, changing it to .cue does nothing, it just changes itself back to .bin).

I'm pulling my hair out here. If anyone has ANY ideas, please let me know!

Thanks

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

from my knowledge of bin files...

they are accompanied by .cue files i believe? (havent used em in probably 3 years)

but the .cue file is very small.. while the bin is quite large...

you take these files, and can make them into a disk image.

soooo i suggest you look up .bin converters or extractors or something... or maybe a burning program that burns from .bin... (nero used to when i used .bin/.cue files on pc a while back i think)

the .bin file is made to be burned i do believe

hope this helps...dont go searching around for the .cue file though...i may be mistaken about that....
QUOTE Thanks
andyholmes1

I have a .cue file of the same name as the.bin file! And yes, it is tiny (as in less than a meg). So... I know I must sound incredibly inept, but I'm fairly new to mac- how would I go about using the cue file to create a CD image?
QUOTE Thanks
tofi

In ur case the .bin + .cue files are a CD image, which you can use to burn.
But then I'm a newbie from the PC world, so what do i know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Brightness Problem | Need a Cheat Sheet? »