New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Sleep Image 2GB safe to delete?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

I found a file called "Sleep Image" that is taking up 2GB of space and requires password verification to delete. Thats 2GB I would like back if this file isnt supposed to be so big.
Is it safe to delete?
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

What sort of file is it?
What folder is it in?

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

It is a document owned by the root in my boot drive in the folders: private>var>vm

I assume it does something but it seems kinda big.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

From what I've seen in google so far, looks like you need that file. It's kinda like a temp file that stores what apps are open, if you have work that is still open, etc. as your laptop goes to sleep. When it wakes it looks into that temp file and everything is as it was before it went to sleep. The sleep mode can happen just about any time, btw, not just when you let the laptop idle for too long:

From Apple's Knowledge Base Article Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance:

Quote:
Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually keeps back a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, with the safe sleep function introduced in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) computers, the computer's memory contents have been saved to the hard drive. When power is restored, the computer returns itself to its pre-sleep state using the safe sleep image on the hard drive.
Edited to add:

It also seems that the file size is dependent on the amount of RAM you have on your Mac.

From Moving the hibernate image file on a MacBookPro…:

Quote:
So I like to partition my Macs so that my user directory is on a different partition to the system drive.
I got kind of frustrated when I got my MacBook Pro and realised that due to having 2Gb of RAM, the hibernate settings by default were taking up an extra 2Gb on my system partition with the sleep image file at /var/vm/sleepimage.
QUOTE Thanks
4g63t

4g63t is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17

From Apple's Knowledge Base Article Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance:

Do I have to do the same for the MBP too?
Cause I use my MBP as a desktop pretty often..
It would be great if I don't have to plug out the battery every now and then

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I haven't read that article in that perspective, 4g63t. I was just trying to find some reference to this Sleep Image business. You'd have to read and see what Apple means by this procedure.

Oh and btw, welcome to Mac-Forums!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Wallpapers Directory Location? | Adding Custom Sounds »