New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - USB headset-can't hear mic input even tho I see it!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaguarfeather

jaguarfeather is on a distinguished road

OS 10.3.9
G5

I may be doin' something simple wrong. . .

I need to use Skype for an interview Monday, and I bought a USB headset. I assigned Sound Output and Input to be the headset and I can hear the sound through the headset speakers just fine, but cannot hear the mic audio, even though in the Sound Preferences panel I can see the Input level meter reacting normally to the mic audio as I speak.
(which indicates that the headset is working properly, at least.)
Any ideas about what I'm not doing right will be appreciated!!
:confused:
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I *think* Skype has a set up wizard that lets you test this... records your speech and plays it back to you ten seconds later. Is this what is not working?

If you just can't hear your speech in your ear as you watch the system preferences panel, this may be perfectly OK - the headphones you bought may not provide what is called "side tone", which is some limited playback of what comes in through the mic into the ear piece.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
jaguarfeather

jaguarfeather is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. I tried the Skype test thing right away, but unfortunately that did not work.
The trouble is somewhere in the Mac system. I can't get the audio from the headset mic to be audible anywhere at all, even though I can see the level meter responding in the Sound Preferences panel. That's what is so confusing or frustrating. It should be audible. . .

Any other ideas very welcome. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Network Icon Its Gone | Not able to login to new user account »