New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - customizing the finder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jigzill

Jigzill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2Ghz ICD 1gb 667MHz OS 10.4.8

So I have been using the program Path Finder for some time now and love all the options and complex fucntions. However, it is TOO much. I don't need all the options and functions and I would really like to start using the standard finder again. So, in the standard finder i customized the toolbar, changed the background color, icon size, blah blah blah. It still isn't enough though, so i have a few questions:

Is there an exstension or haxie to allow tabed browsing within the finder?

How do I change the background color of the sidebar of the finder? It always is white and dosen't match the other background in finder. Yuck!

I recently found some very eye-pleasing icons to replace the stock sidebar icons, ie applications, documents, photos. However, the application and system folders never have and won't change icons. I copy and paste in the "info" window but it never takes effect in the finder. All the other folders have changed but these two won't change. When I open the "info" window the "icon preview" displays what i have pasted but the folder in the icon itself does not. How do i get the to change permanently?

Whats up with the little characters/symbols in the lower left corner? I have seen four little squares and a pencil with the line through it. What are they and what do they represent?

Anyway to get the "system preferences" to appear in the sidebar?

Anyone know of a website (if there is one) that has a collection of finder ad-ons for customization?

thanx in advance! I look forward to your responses.
jigzilla

ps i have an intel macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Jigzill

Jigzill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2Ghz ICD 1gb 667MHz OS 10.4.8

herro! any one out there?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Quote:
I recently found some very eye-pleasing icons to replace the stock sidebar icons, ie applications, documents, photos. However, the application and system folders never have and won't change icons. I copy and paste in the "info" window but it never takes effect in the finder. All the other folders have changed but these two won't change. When I open the "info" window the "icon preview" displays what i have pasted but the folder in the icon itself does not. How do i get the to change permanently?
You have to log in as root...NOT recommended. Or use something like Candybar: http://iconfactory.com/software

Quote:
Anyway to get the "system preferences" to appear in the sidebar?
Goto /Applications and drag it to the sidebar.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
neminis

neminis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzill View Post
Whats up with the little characters/symbols in the lower left corner? I have seen four little squares and a pencil with the line through it. What are they and what do they represent?
I'd like an answer to this question too. Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

that pencil means the disk you are looking at is read only
QUOTE Thanks
neminis

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
that pencil means the disk you are looking at is read only
Thank you. Do you (or does anyone else) know what the four squares mean?
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

how about a screen shot? may get more answers.... Im not totally sure what your looking at. a picture would help.

Command Shift 3.... to take a picture of the screen, then upload as an attachment.
QUOTE Thanks
neminis

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
how about a screen shot? may get more answers.... Im not totally sure what your looking at. a picture would help.

Command Shift 3.... to take a picture of the screen, then upload as an attachment.
Here ya go ... I've even enlarged it for you. Thanks in advance for your interest in helping.

At least if you're running OSX 10.4, if you go to your Applications folder and open various folders therein, likely you'll see this on *some but not all* resultant windows. The "some but not all" is the puzzling part; I haven't noticed any pattern to it.
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

which folders? so far I don't see it on mine. Im running tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
neminis

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
which folders? so far I don't see it on mine. Im running tiger.
Since we may not overlap in apps folders, here instead are folders in my [startup hard drive]/Library (not username/Library) folder -- for brevity, only the A-F ones -- whose windows have this icon:

Address Book Plug-Ins
Application Enhancers
Application Enhancers (Disabled)
Audio
CFMSupport
Colors
ColorSync
Components
Contextual Menu Items
Desktop Pictures
Dictionaries
DiscRecording
Documentation
Extensions
Filesystems
Fonts
Frameworks

---

Application Support and
Caches

do not.
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

on mine I see a pencil with a line through it. as someone mentioned that means (I believe) that folder is read only and can't be written to. I don't have any that I see yet with the icon your showing. Hmm, interesting.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Folder Icons | dragging icon from top of window DOESN'T make an alias? »