New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Read only on external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

I have an external USB hard drive connected to my Macbook. The drive used to be in a PC but I had to get rid of it, so I bought an external USB hard drive enclosure so I could keep all my files. Now when I have it connected to my Mac it shows up and I can view and copy files from it, but I can not write to it. How can I change the permissions? When I click Get Info and look under Ownership and Permissions it says "You can only read".
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

The external drive is formatted in NTFS (the current standard Windows filesystem). Mac OS can read but not write to NTFS volumes.

If you have enough space on DVDs or your other HDD(s) to temporarily store everything on this disk, you could:

1. Move all the files off the NTFS drive.
2. Reformat the drive (FAT32 if you want it to be accessible by Windows machines, Mac OS Extended/journaled if not).
3. Move all the files back to the newly reformatted drive.
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

Oh crap. I would need a LOT of DVDs to do that. Well, thanks for the help anyway!
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

You could also move some/all of the files to your regular HD. Even if it took up a lot of space, it would only need to sit there until you could reformat your external drive and move them back. So if you have 50G of free space on your HDD, that would save you from burning 10 DVDs.

If your new external drive is huge, though, yeah, you're in trouble.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My widget says that it's gonna snow!!!! | Mac OS X and certain Web Sites »