New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iBook - How do I remove old administrator?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macvirgin2405

macvirgin2405 is on a distinguished road

Have just bought a second hand ibook G4 for my girlfriend. It came with existing software that I don't want to delete off the HD. I want to change the administrator so that the old one is gone but I can't work out how to change the shortname for the administrator, it is not accessible (faded grey colour). I do have the old administrator's password and this has allowed me to change most things. But it is annoying because the old administrator's name is still on the home folder etc because it is the shortname. The lock/unlock icon does not help. Please help...
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Create a new Admin account, log into that one and delete the old one.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
macvirgin2405

macvirgin2405 is on a distinguished road

have already tried that. can't delete original administrator even once have created a new administrator. and if modify old administrator can't access and change old administrator's shortname.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > NET INFO MANAGER > GROUPS > ADMINS

Select the admin you wish to remove and press delete on the keyboard. That account will now be a user account and you should be able to delete it from your Admin account.

QUOTE Thanks
metamorfdzn

metamorfdzn is on a distinguished road

I'm trying a lateral here because this thread is recent.
I have a family iMac G5 running 10.4.8.
At some point, a child changed their user to an ADMIN account.

Since Myspace has superseded schoolwork, I need to delete this account, but water-boarding their password out of them isn't an option, so I can't select their user to change it.

How do I delete a 2nd ADMIN account besides crashing the whole hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Original packaged applications in tiger | CD mounting problems »