New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - mac 1.4 ghz vs. windows 3 ghz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nagger Pumper

Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

i'm still a noob at macs, but why ezactly are macs so fast for their ghz? for example my 1.4 ghz mac opens up programs such as aol, itunes ect. much faster than my 3 ghz windows. How is that?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Maybe because Mac OS X is less of a hindrance? That's why, I think, Apple wants to keep total control on the hardware and software: everything goes together smoothly.
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

surely there is more to it than that
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Very simply put, the Mac OS has a much more efficient use of processor and RAM. It just doesn't have the many software bottlenecks that Windows does.
This is why older systems can still run the latest OS rather smoothly. An iMac G3 from 1999 can still run OS X 10.4 rather effectively. How well would a Dell from the same period run Windows Vista (if it could at all)?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well put, DB. That's what I meant earlier.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Another thing that might be causing some of it is the XP system is probably all messed up with Spyware and process's running in the background slowing it way down.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

This is true as well.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

you guys know everything
QUOTE Thanks
MacJuggernaut

MacJuggernaut is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 | 1.67 GHz | 80 GB | 1 GB RAM

But it's also because the 1.4 GHz processor in the Mac is a powerpc one and the pc has an Intel processor. The number of GHz in each of these two different types are not comparable. You have to look at benchmarks for comparison. (The GHz measure for different processors of the same company are sometimes not comparable either!)
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

so which would you say is more important, ghz or ram?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Recent performance tests I have read suggest a rough equivalence between the new Core 2 Duo GHz rating and that of an PPC G5 chip. The Core 2 Duo is generally stated by Intel to be about 40% faster per GHz than the Pentium that you likely have in your Intel PC, and so the logic suggests that your 1.4 GHz Mac is roughly equivalent to a (1.4 GHz + 0.40 * 1.4 GHz) = 1.96 GHz Pentium, So, your Pentium PC is still the faster part in more or less equivalent GHz, but it is a lot faster than the 1.4 GHz number suggests when you stack that up against a 3.0 GHz number for the Pentium. However, that gets us part way to the performance difference you are seeing.

Next, as has been pointed out above, Mac OS X is simply more efficient, and less bogged down with anti spyware stuff, so there is less drag on the response of the system from the OS itself. That leaves more CPU for the applications themselves to take advantage of.

Finally, and this likely key, programs like iTunes in particular have been extensively optimized for the PPC chips. I really noticed this when I got my Mac. iTunes on my 2.3 GHz PowerMac just flies relative to iTunes on my older 3.0 GHz Pentium PC. Using my "40% faster" number from above, my 2.3 GHz PowerMac is roughly equivalent to a 3.2 GHz Pentium, so it is a little faster in equivalent GHz, but that is not nearly enough to explain the radical difference in speed. That is wholly the result of optimization in iTunes.

By the way, the same is true of hefty monsters like Photoshop, where many filters run nearly 2x as fast on my 2.3 GHz PowerMac as they did on my 3.0 GHz Pentium.

Apple, and many of the software vendors out there, have done a WONDERFUL job in letting the PPC chips reach their full potential.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Nagger Pumper, it is really not an either/or. Essentially, you need both to get the best performance. However, if you can only get ONE, get the RAM. Insufficient RAM will bog down even the fastest processor. Sufficient RAM will allow the processor to run at its full potential. This may not be enough though. For example, even a well equipped Mini may not be up to heavy duty video editing. For some tasks, you just have to have both!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It's more your Windows machine is slow, rather than your Mac is any faster.

Hard drive speed has more of an effect on opening applications - the CPU speed has little impact.

Ghz is not an important factor in processor speed. A 1.8Ghz AMD Sempron will be slower than a 1.8Ghz Athlon 64. The 1.8Ghz Athlon 64 will be about the same speed as a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz and a 1.8Ghz Core 2 Duo will beat them all!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

here is a great video that will explain and show why a 1.4ghz mac whips a 3ghz windows machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WnXaWjQYE

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

There are lots of factors that affect the performance of your computer and the raw CPU speed in Ghz is only a tiny factor.

When you say your Windows machine is 3ghz. What processor is it? A Pentium 4? If so, which model. A 3ghz P4 is going to be a poorer performer than an AMD64 running at 2ghz in most tasks, even within Windows.

Also how much RAM does the machine have and what is the HDD speed in each machine? When it comes to launching apps, RAM and HDD speed as well has FSB speed probably play a more important role than the CPU speed.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to search for locked items | What manner will current user upgrade to Leopard »